T O P

Fast food isnt cheaper then cooking your own meals, you're just lazy.

Fast food isnt cheaper then cooking your own meals, you're just lazy.

Flair_Helper

Thank you for submitting to /r/unpopularopinion, /u/oXASTONXo. Your post, *Fast food isnt cheaper then cooking your own meals, you're just lazy.*, has been removed because it violates our rules: Rule 1: Your post must be an unpopular opinion. Please ensure that your post is an opinion and that it is unpopular. Controversial is not necessarily unpopular, for example all of politics is controversial even though almost half of the US agrees with any given major position on an issue. Keep in mind that an opinion is not: a question, a fact, a conspiracy theory, a random thought, a new idea, a rant, etc. Those things all have their own subreddits, use those. If there is an issue, please message the mod team at https://www.reddit.com/message/compose?to=%2Fr%2Funpopularopinion Thanks!


le_dadaiii

???? Fast food is cheaper somewhere? Cuz here I paid 60€ for Mcdonald for 3, when I can make a meal for like 15 dollars and last 2 days? Édit : I live in France and apparently laws might be more strict about the quality of the meat. Also no, we do not have a dollar menu, it does not exist, a simple cheese burger costs about 4.50€.


S7EFEN

for real. back when dollar menu actually had food on it- you could get a mcdouble or chicken sandwich for a buck fast food used to be OK. but nowadays it's not even close. you are going to be able to prep the food at home for 5-30% of the actual cost.


kallekillen22

What are you doing paying €20 for a damn McDonald's meal? You can go to a real restaurant for that kind of money


le_dadaiii

vo-ov we smell the trash from a bag of a passerby and suddenly we crave bad expensive food. Always regret it. I'm sure the smell is made to make you want some


MySuperLove

Huh. I used the app coupons to get a crispy chicken sandwich meal with a medium fry and drink for $4.56 after tax.


tirkman

I think this person isn’t American given that they used a Euro currency sign. McDonald’s outside the United States are more expensive than they are here


Wowtuck

Even in the US it's more expensive, an average meal from McDonald's is like 7 bucks, I can make a meal for around 3 that's both better tasting and more nutritious.


Mendoiiiy

But I hope people don't actually eat fast food that often do they? Like maybe trice a month but not like... Weekly. Or are there some twats that do that?


kickit256

Oh there's people that eat it daily. Far more common than you think. I eat it likely twice a week? I work outdoors and it's REALLY nice to have a hot meal at lunch at times, but only only have 30 minutes for lunch.. so there ya go.


JmsGrrDsNtUndrstnd

I legitimately know people who do fast food for 2/3 meals every single day. Sometimes 3/3.


jennim1994

It's a pound sign not a euro one.


Jackmacdiamond

No that’s a euro sign. £ is a pound sign


BigTobz1

Bruh… check again what sign OP used


Caltico1999

Which country are you from? Ireland is quite expensive for a lot of things, but a large big mac meal here comes to about 8.60. I'm shocked that your country is more than twice as expensive.


le_dadaiii

We live in france, though my mom and I usually take 2 burgers. I don't eat McDonald's enough to tell you the exact prices but I assure you I paid 60€ and I screamed in my head. Never eating this trash ever again. Expensive bellyache


No-Albatross-7984

Yep. Just cooked some relatively expensive dishes this week, a whole fry salmon with a bulgur salad and after that was gone, some lasagna. Ingredients were about 15€ per dish and I ate salmon 4 times, lasagna probably 6 times (hard to keep track after a while). That 30€ would have gotten me exactly 2 meals if I went out to eat.


MonaAndRiker

You’re not eating off of the dollar menu if you’re spending that much. Some people in Food Deserts can convince themselves that a life of McChickens and dollar cheeseburgers is all they can afford.


le_dadaiii

Dollar menu doesn't exist in France, :/ à simple cheeseburger alone is 4.50€ I think


Zoological_Exhibit

It depends. I live in Singapore at the moment, and here I can get a full meal at a food court for S$5 or less (talking about fried rice, noodles, etc., Maccas & stuff is usually roughly $5-10). When you compare that to actually doing the shopping yourself, even at the equivalent to Aldi, it's *much* cheaper - when I first moved here, I struggled to get all the groceries I'd need for the week for less than S$70. The only reason I actually bother to buy groceries now is because I do enjoy cooking, but I'd probably save a fair bit if I just stuck to eating out.


Weary-Analysis6819

Yes, especially in Europe there are way more regulations on quality of meat so fast food is a lot more expensive


Ok-Engineering3517

Yeah but, how much of that McDonalds is “real” food


le_dadaiii

Just because it is not healthy doesn't meed it's not food anymore. They don't serve hamburger shaped rocks do they? XD


ScrubbyOldManHands

I mean a 5 dollar little Ceasars pizza is def cheap af when u want to feed a family of 4.....


biggggbouy

A family of 4 in my household would need 3 pizzas. We usually get drum sticks or beef cubes and all the other ingredients for about 10 bucks so it's cheaper than even little Caesars


SergeantShithead33

And personally little Caesar’s has good pizza love the little bit of spice that they put into the tomato sauce


MysticMacKO

Little Ceasars Classic is only 2,200 calories; its not even close to enough to feed a family for a day. I could eat one of those every day and actually lose weight


OnlyANinjaCan

You're adding 2 things they didn't in their post... firstly you assume they buy 1 pizza for 4 people, second you assume that's ALL they eat in a day.


mrsauceboi

I mean a 5 dollar little Ceasars pizza is def cheap af when u want to feed a family of 4..... WHEN U WANT TO FEED A FAMILY OF 4...


Altyrmadiken

There's still the assumption that that's all they're eating. You shouldn't be eating 2000 calories in a meal. A 35 year old woman who's 5'6 and weighs 140lbs, but doesn't exercise, only needs about 1700 calories a day (that whole pizza is too much for her, health wise, even though she could probably eat the whole thing in one sitting). A 35 year old male who's 5'10 at 160 requires 2050 calories a day. That whole pizza *is still too many calories for him,* even though he too could probably eat the whole thing in one day. Assuming you have a family of four, a single 2200 calorie pizza would provide 550 calories per person. That's... an appropriate sized meal, actually. It might not *feel* like enough, but that's a mix of over-eating Americans and fairly unhealthy food choice (high calorie pizza is not a good choice of food on the reg).


DroopyOldSnatch

Literally nobody thinks it’s cheaper. The majority is well aware that they’re pissing away money due to laziness


[deleted]

It's called fast food, not cheap food.


SuicideByStar_

Time is money!


Scumbag1234

Only if you make money during the time you gain from not cooking at home. Which most people don't.


MuchBigNice

There are a staggering amount of people I know who adamantly maintain that the only reason they don’t eat healthier/home cooked is because it costs more than fast food. Maybe it’s just complete denial or maybe it’s because they refuse to shop anywhere but overpriced grocers like Whole Foods, but this is sadly an opinion that is relatively popular, even if it clearly doesn’t hold up.


aimbotcfg

> There are a staggering amount of people I know who adamantly maintain that the only reason they don’t eat healthier/home cooked is because it costs more than fast food. Fast food is not cheaper than healthy food. Shitty food from a store is most definitely cheaper than healthy food though. Both in the US and the UK (The only 2 countries I have enough experience with to say that definitively). Which is a problem.


MySuperLove

The thing that many people in this thread are ignoring is food spoilage, especially for single people. Like, sure, I can buy 8 buns for a dollar, but they're gonna go stale before I eat them all. Ground beef? I have, what, 2-3 days to eat it? So if I buy some, I gotta eat a half pound of meat per day. I don't think I've ever gotten through a gallon of milk or even a half gallon before it spoils. So then I have this weird sensation where I "owe" it to the beef or chicken or whatever to eat it because I'm chasing money I already spent. And I'm not a huge fan of forcing myself to eat something just because I have it.


woaily

Buns and ground beef both freeze reasonably well


RavousWinters

Was about to say, buy in bulk to save money, separate into portions and freeze it. Same for chicken, same for beef, same for everything. Most foods after cooking also still freeze fairly well so if you are some day lazy, defrost and heat up that spaghetti sauce you made last week.


MuchBigNice

For meat, cheese, and fruit, I highly recommend just freezing whatever you don’t use immediately. As a bonus if you buy store bought frozen fruit or veggies, it retains more nutrients than fresh.


cantfocuswontfocus

Thanks for elaborating this. I've tried to cook ar home and while the total cost is cheaper, I end up having to throw some stuff out because I live alone and friends tend to invite out anyway which adds to the wastage


ATLL2112

Have you heard of this new thing they got called a "freezer"? I hear you can make meat last months! As for gallons of milk. If you don't drink it, why tf you even buying it? I barely ever use milk for anything. If it weren't for my gf living with me, I'd never buy it. I use half and half for my coffee and that lasts weeks.


[deleted]

[удалено]


MySuperLove

Why not both?


julianwelton

I agree although I do think "laziness" is kind of a bullshit blanket word to use when often there's a lot more that goes into it. Many people only have four hours to themselves after work. If you ride the bus you could be looking at an hour round trip, plus twenty minutes in the store, plus an hour of cooking. You're left with barely any time before you have to go to bed and be at work in the morning. Nobody wants to live like that every day. If you're cooking for a family that'll increase the time even further. Is it "lazy" to work all day and not want to come home and go to work? I wouldn't say so. People are often miserable due to work or school schedules and don't want to waste the few precious hours they have of free time cooking something that will take 10x as long to get/make but probably won't even taste as good as something you can buy. Yeah, you can do meal prep and all that but let me tell you (as someone who does it) it fucking sucks. The food never tastes good after the first day, you're pretty restricted by what can stay edible in the fridge for multiple days, and you still spend a lot of time cooking and reheating just to not enjoy it very much most of the time. Tldr: No, it's not cheaper. BUT if you factor in limited free time, the restrictive nature of what you're able to produce without cooking skills, and the likely mediocre quality of whatever dish you make... it kind of balances out.


LunarRabbit77

I don't know what you're cooking for it to take literal hours. I buy food once a week and the longest it takes me to cook is 30 minutes. Waiting for the delivery guy to come or waiting in a drive-in lane takes about the same time. I'd rather spend 30 minutes a day cooking than being obese and suffering from malnutrition.


Hellfang1

Literally nobody thinks it cost more. Where the hell did you get your education? From fuckin looney tunes?


superhard808s

To be fair, it’s not just cost that deters people from cooking. Food prep isn’t an instantaneous process and it definitely takes time. Many people simply don’t have the time after working/caring for family to cook adequately and resort to eating out. Yes some of these people definitely could improve their time management skills to allow for some time to cook but many people just don’t want to spend the little down time they have cooking and end up going to McDonald’s or something. It’s definitely bad for your physical and financial health but I don’t see a problem with it as long as they’re honest with themselves as to why they’re doing it.


lynx_and_nutmeg

> Many people simply don’t have the time after working/caring for family to cook adequately and resort to eating out. In most other countries except the US cooking is the norm. Everyone cooks, both the poor and middle-class people, even quite a few rich people, probably. Buying fast food or eating out every day simply isn't considered an option. Like, you could do it, but it would end up being so expensive most people would consider it a stupid waste of money, and a lot of people couldn't even afford it. As someone from one of those countries where everyone cooks, it's just weird to see it put like "well, it takes time..." Yeah, I guess it does, but so does vacuuming, cleaning the bathroom, etc. It's just one of those things you have to do. It's life.


Pansntrans

From the UK, I hate cooking. Doesn't make me lazyfor wanting to have something nice, considering most takeaway is pretty good quality food, or at least better than the food of your average person cooking from home.


lynx_and_nutmeg

Well, the UK is very "Americanised" in that way. When I lived there, I used to buy takeaways a lot more often too because the selection was so much better and they were pretty cheap and actually good quality. I mean, fish and chips is a proper dinner, whereas having a cheeseburger from McDonald's leaves me hungry after an hour... That does give rise to the "takeaway/fast food culture" in a similar way it does in the US. If you go to a grocery store and have a relatively small section of shitty overpriced frozen foods, meanwhile there's a vast selection of much cheaper and tastier whole foods, the desire to eat fast food every day goes away real quick. It becomes a treat for Fridays or for those days when you're sick or lazy or have people over and just want some snacks rather than having to cook dinner for everyone, etc.


mooistcow

> In most other countries except the US cooking is the norm. Don't most other countries have things like public healthcare, and reasonable vacation time, and paid time off, and maternity leave...


TheSavourySloth

I fully embrace the fact that I’m lazy and don’t like cooking


1stofallhowdareewe

I'm not sure about a week's worth of meals for about $21 (I converted to dollars lol) but you are correct that cooking at home is cheaper, especially if shopping at somewhere like Aldi.


oldschoolshooter

Also, unless you're making the same food it's not a fair comparison.


Hagbard_Shaftoe

Right? Came here to say this. Not just 21 meals for $21, but snacks too. Unless OP is having ramen or rice multiple times per day, I’m struggling to buy that math.


oldschoolshooter

It's not just the face value amount. It's the time, inconvenience, fuel, storage, etc.


1stofallhowdareewe

Sure all that applies. But you can make a couple meals (depending on how many you're feeding) for around $12 depending on ingredients and where you buy them. Yes it takes time and engery buy overall still cheaper than going and grabbing it out. You also often have leftovers when cooking so it's more than one meal.


oldschoolshooter

You need to factor in time. Time is money.


salivating_sculpture

Most of the stuff I cook is as simple as adding it to the pot with a little water and going back to browsing the internet until it's done. Cooking takes effectively very little of my time. Most people probably spend more time ordering and picking up fast food than I spend buying and preparing my food.


oldschoolshooter

In that case, it doesn't seem a fair comparison to takeaway food. To say home-cooked is cheaper you really need to be comparing apples to apples.


Amanda_the_human

Agree. I don't know the ingredients, proportions or the prep behind the takeaway. Sure I can buy and stack ingredients to make a burger, but fastfood knows all sorts of tricks to make it better. Macdonald used to fry with animal lard instead for example


biggggbouy

Bruh I could cook a burger 900000000 times better than McDonalds, I'm sorry but home-cooked meals will always be better imo


Amanda_the_human

What's your secret recipe Mr Krabs?


biggggbouy

Ok maybe not that much better, but just grilling a burger with salt and pepper and using any sauce that I feel (I personally like a mayo and spicy brown mustard mix) tastes better than McDonalds imo. But I've grown up with home cooked meals so maybe I'm biased


Pangolinsftw

When you say time is money, what do you mean? I'm thinking from the perspective of an average, middle-class or even working class person.


oldschoolshooter

If you work for, say, $20 an hour, then an hour of your time is worth $20. An hour spent cooking is an hour you could have spent working. Even if you weren't going to be working during that time, it is the value you are prepared to sell your time for and thus the value you place upon it


biggggbouy

Dude no one is gonna work 24 hours a day. Explain to me this, if you work 8 hours a day, you have 16 other hours to do stuff, cook for an hour and you still have 15 hours, you make no sense sir. You can't just say time is money like that, cause sure it is, but people usually have at least 4 hours off work to cook, or do whatever


oXASTONXo

It takes like 10 minutes to an hour to make a weeks worth of food, unless you're working 20 hour days then you have the time.


[deleted]

What the hell are you making in 10 minutes and eating for a week? Plain pasta takes longer than 10 minutes. Are you prepping poptarts?


modslol

Nothing, because they're full of shit


saltygreenmermaid

Frozen dinners that you can pop in the microwave for 3 minutes?


[deleted]

Is a frozen dinner meal prep?


saltygreenmermaid

If you put it in your freezer, it’s prepped. Right?


lynx_and_nutmeg

It's not like you have to stand there and keep a watch on it every second... Especially if you're using an oven or a slow cooker, you have plenty of time to do other stuff in between, just check up on it every now and again.


JerryDepz

You really fucked your own argument by needlessly exaggerating An argument I could have agreed with if you didn't do that


oldschoolshooter

If you can make a week's worth of food in that time, it probably isn't very nice food. It also means eating the same thing for a week, whereas I could get a different takeaway every night.


pepperbeast

I'm not lazy, especially. What I *am*, at least some of the time, is *exhausted*. And stop telling me how to organise my life.


modslol

Don't forget there's no fuckin way I could make a McChicken for fucking dollar. I'd you're eating the 10 dollar meals there's no way it's cheaper, but if I'm ready to spend that I'll just go to a restaurant. I try to not suck corporate dick, cause you know, they're evil and have cooked the planet... but making money on two pieces of bread, fried "chicken", some mayo and dubious greens *priced at a single fucking dollar* is truly a logistical miracle.


mbz321

I just picked up 'Pub Fries' from Wendy's (free with any mobile app order) and a Double stack for less than $3 after work tonight as I was still hungry. Could I have made both those things for that price factoring in time/labor, etc? I don't think so. (If you are going to do fast food, ordering through the mobile apps is where its at as there are almost free item/$x off coupons. Now ordering fast food at 'menu price', especially combo meals, is usually a piss-poor deal.


Social-director

You couldn’t make the equivalent of what you are getting at a fast food place at home for as cheap. What you could get for cheaper is meals like rice and beans, spaghetti marinara and stuff like that. It’s not a 1:1 comparison at all.


mbz321

True.


janebakerbristol

Of course you can if you know how to cook


ctilvolover23

You can get a bag of 10 chicken patties at any store for five dollars minimum. Also, lettuce for a dollar, and buns for 89 cents.


modslol

Add a bun, mayo, and lettuce to that, then factor in the time it would take me to assemble that instead of rolling through the drive through in two minutes (cause I'm not stopping if there's a line) then try to tell me you can make a McChicken for a dollar. I'd have to value my time *negatively* to do that, and I don't.


SadIntern6

I'm truly jealous you Americans get a one dollar McChicken. We have a pitiful mini version in Canada called the Junior Chicken and it's $2.50 +tax.


KreateOne

Jr chickens used to be 99 cents or $1.39 can’t remember exactly, but the price has kept hiking over the years like they wouldn’t expect people to notice there’s no “value” in their value menu’s anymore.


S7EFEN

> then factor in the time it would take me to assemble that instead of rolling through the drive through in two minutes as someone who regularly makes chicken nuggets + chicken burgers : you microwave the breaded chicken thing. you then throw it on a stove for 2-3 minutes so that it gets crispy. cooking is 'passive' in that you do actions that take very little time, then you set a timer and do something else. Your actual 'cooking time' - time doing actions towards cooking - is going to be 2-3 minutes or less. costco burger buns : 32 for $4 (2x16 bags) burgers 20 for 16$


druidofnecro

A microwave? Nah air fryers the way to go. Dump whatever frozen garbage ya got in there, set it for 10 minutes, come back and you got crispy fried food ready to go.


modslol

>cooking is 'passive' You have no animals or children or much of any external variables if you're doing something in the kitchen while food is cooking else besides general household management lol


S7EFEN

>You have no animals or children I would assume having children who cannot be left alone for a period of time is the minority, no? there's no shade towards people who are raising children getting help with food, childcare, etc - those aren't the target audience for the term 'lazy' here. as for pets, i have a cat and it stays on the ground in the kitchen and doesnt mess with foods/hot surfaces etc.


ctilvolover23

I already mentioned the buns and the lettuce in my comment. Plus, by the time I make the twenty minute round trip to McDonald's from my house, I can already be done making dinner and also be almost done eating.


Sel_drawme

OP isn’t saying a once a week mcchicken. That shit adds up.


modslol

Oh I'm passing all judgement of budgeting or calories, I'm just saying it's insane that the McChicken is a dollar lol


Pangolinsftw

Too exhausted to stand in your kitchen for 10 minutes and move your hands around a little? Doubtful. Also, if you're like most people, [you have more leisure time than you claim](https://www.rand.org/news/press/2019/10/28.html). Take an hour to rest, then cook a proper meal.


rumbleslap75

Don't worry, you will continue to suffer.


Effective-Walrus1157

I made sirloin steak & butternut squash spaghetti for 2 tonight for $13. Meanwhile the Chipotle we had last night cost nearly $20 for both of us. So yeah, it's cheaper at home, but you calling people lazy because they don't want to cook is weirdly judgmental. If someone's tired or simply isn't into cooking, so what?


Accidentalydogcrazy

Where the heck are you getting sirloin steak for less than $15 on its own?! I cook from home but dude if you’ve got inside goss into where to get cheaper stuff I am all ears cause prices where I live are higher than that!


Altyrmadiken

How much steak are you getting? A serving of beef is 3oz. A New York Sirloin in my area costs about $13/lb. 16oz in a pound, so about $6.50 for two servings. Bump it to 4oz servings and you're still fitting within the $13.


Accidentalydogcrazy

Ahhh I’m in Australia where a sirloin sold per kilo and the average steak is approximately 250-300g. So ordinarily you pay anywhere from $30-40 a kilo which leaves us with $7.5 per steak plus whatever veggies/salad you’re gonna be a smudge over your $13 for 2 people. There are definitely cheaper cuts I was just super surprised that you could get sirloin so cheap


ComfortableClothes28

This is very popular.


OneirionKnight

In fact it's a fact


JerryDepz

Even within, you can shop at upscale groceries like Whole Foods and it'll still definitely be cheaper than fast food for the week. I shop at Whole Foods with Prime, and look to get whatever meats/yogurts/oats on sale for the week and I definitely still save over fast food A lot of fast food has gotten fucking dumb anyways. I went to get a large big mac meal just for old times sake and it was 10.50 for the pathetic two little patties and a soda I barely want. And unless you're ordering from the shit dollar menu, they dont make ordering a la carte make sense Really the only factor is time


[deleted]

That's the thing, cooking for yourself requires some level of commitment. I recently bought 2 shakers of a locally made meat rub. It cost me $15 for them, now I've committed more than the cost of a meal on one kind of seasoning. And most things are that way. You have to commit to making your own food, and every new flavor of food you want you have to commit to as well.


JerryDepz

Yeah actually, this is definitely the drawback to cooking at home. If you're alone, some shit is just simply sold in portions that I can't get to before they expire or I really have to pound it out in eating the same thing for awhile


[deleted]

Yeah, I decided to start making steak recently and I wanted cheap cuts to practice with. I found out you can actually get decent (not good, just decent) steaks for a like $4 each. A baked potato and another simple veggie side + the seasoning and butter and everything for a dinner ended up costing me probably $8. And not to brag, but it was actually really good. I get to season it to my tastes, cook it to my desire, and in the manner I choose. I'm very much a proponent of cooking at home. But I had to buy 8 steaks to get that price for that quality of meat. I'll throw away at least 2 of them, and that's if I get really into cooking steak. But since I've already got it right, I don't get to see improvement between meals, so I'm a lot less likely to want to make them all.


oldschoolshooter

Time is not the only factor. There are also fuel and inventory costs, among others.


JerryDepz

Inventory costs of keeping a fridge running? Really? You're going to just turn that fridge off if you decide on fast food for the week? You're really counting fuel in this equation? May as well stop and think about that in everything you do then. What a ridiculous notion What a ridiculous post


MonkeManWPG

Whenever someone mentions obesity being the fault of the person who lives 'calories in > calories out', there are suddenly hundreds of comments saying 'b-b-but fast food is cheaper! Poor people can't cook! Obesity is the fault of capitalism and billionaires, because reasons!' So yeah, it doesn't seem that popular.


Regalia776

If you're constantly going for pizza, McDonald's and other fast food, yeah, probably you are lazy. But there are also people like me who simply completely don't enjoy cooking. I do like it when I can cook for somebody else, but not just for myself. It feels like work to me. I am working 8 1/2 hours per day, have a 2 hour commute every day to and from work, getting up in the morning just to get ready and leave. I return home past 6, at which point I still have some other chores waiting for me. Once I'm done, it's probably past 8 at which point I really do not feel like doing any work anymore. I just want to sit down and enjoy the rest of the evening. So, I don't go for fast food. Instead I buy my breakfast sandwich at a local bakery, eat my lunch at one of the buffet restaurants around the company and eat some rolls with hummus or some fruits in the evening. Yes, I know cooking would be cheaper, but I can afford it. And it gives me just a bit more time for myself, even if it's just half an hour. It's the weekends I cook rather normally, but still not extravagantly, like making some vegetable soup. Now how is any of this wrong?


HandsomeDerp

>So, I don't go for fast food. If you try to eat healthy, then it's fine. OP doesn't understand that not everyone has the time (and money in certain areas) to cook daily


sku11_bit

In australia to make your own on a budget burger is 8 to $10 unlike $2 at Maccas


Cucumber-Crusader

What kind of Maccas are you eating at? A $2 burger is tiny, sure paying for the mince and rolls is more expensive than that but still cheaper than say a big mac meal and you can make 4 burgers out of it if you want. You only want an equivalent burger with some diced onions and shit? You could easily make 6 and onions are cheap as hell, just freeze what you don't use. Not knocking being a lazy fuck and eating fast food, I do it all the time but it's not cheaper most of the time.


sku11_bit

Its to keep my calories in check cos I'm a bodybuilder and it save money so $2 burger $1 frozen Coke


90Lil

A two dollar burger at Maccas in Australia is going to be a tiny piece of meat on a bun with a little sauce. Making your own burger is going to be way bigger. If you just did a crappy one, half a kilo of mince at Coles or Woolies is $7.50, four rolls are $2 at Coles and the cheap sauce is $1.50. Which works out to $11 for four burgers or $2.75 per burger but that burger will be much bigger than a $2 Maccas burger.


Hagebuttentee

I don't even want to label the US a Third World country, because in literally every one of these you'll get cheap vegetables and grain at every corner even in big cities, as long as there isn't a famine going on. I have never encountered so-called food deserts outside the US anywhere, be it slums or inner city Africa/Asia.


kaktrrg

Fastfood used to be cheaper but now it's way more expensive I'm lucky to feed my whole family for 100 at Macca's .


RavousWinters

We got into quite the habbit of buying french fries and snacks here once a week which costs around 7 euros each and it normally is quite bad, like cardboard tasting dry french fries. One time we decided to put the budget on 14 euros and go shopping and cooking instead, got ground beef which we made burgers and meatballs of, hash browns, steak, chicken, some ribs and veggies and still had a lot left over for the day after, it was great. Kind of silly to realize the insane amount of money we throw down the drain just to have somebody else deep fry our food.


janebakerbristol

It drives me mad when stupid sounding people on the radio (I'm in UK) say they can't afford healthy food. Round my way fish and chips costs at least £6 a time. A portion of chips alone costs just over £2. I don't really notice the price of burgers but if you're paying £1 for one it's got to be what they call recovered meat. Anyway one burger every day that's £7 in a week. And pizzas. You pay about £7. You can make the exact same thing,but better,at home for under £1. If you know how to cook and shop well. I can fill a shopping trolley with vegetables from any local greengrocers for as little as £3 that will make healthy meals for a week so how is that more expensive than junk food. I know it's slightly different in USA as a lot of Yanks are right off dumb thickos to start with,most of the food is disgusting packed with growth hormones and all those restaurants sell the most disgusting food,I've watched a few Gordon Ramsay's Nightmares,just seeing the food being prepared makes you nearly vomit. No wonder most Americans are the size and shape of trucks.


rumbleslap75

They'll never believe you. They must eat fast food. Ii has been programmed.


Ciqbern

2 meals from McDonald's, 20$ 2 t bone steaks, mashed potatoes, broccoli, and mushrooms from save-a-lot 19$


greentea2727

It's not just cash, it's time. The time and energy to shop, cook, and clean up is a luxury. People who are working long hours or several jobs (or are taking care of kids) have very little free time. They need to use that time to keep themselves and their living space clean, (of course) eat, and (god forbid) decompress from an incredibly stressful life. The time it takes to shop, cook, meal prep, etc. is a luxury. When you only have two hours of "free" time at the end of the day and it comes down to a decision between spending an hour cooking at home or spending ten minutes picking up a sandwich you can just eat... taking the sandwich option is NOT laziness


Podroki

Its definitely not laziness, it's just sad that people have to do several jobs to meet ends. Having the time to cook, shop en clean up shouldnt be a luxury in a first world country.


Mecmecmecmecmec

Vegetables and grains are the cheapest items at the grocery store, people just want more. People lie to themselves so much lol


TCGOCG

Actually I'd add to this and say it's actually more expensive to get fast food than it is to cook your own


Shiiva_Wilding

We know, our wallets are empty, believe me we know. This is why fast food is a once month (if that) treat when I hook up with friends.


RileyFoxtrot

Why the hell would you get fast food, then cook your own meal…?!?


hans_foodler

Nice catch. Take my upvote.


Tehyne

The thing is that a lot of the time ONE fast food meal would be cheaper than buying the ingredients for one home-cooked meal, as you don't buy ingredients for just the one meal. That's where some people (\*cough me\*) falls into the trap, as my brain won't register having ingredients for more than one meal for the same price as one fast food meal worth it. But yeah I agree, fast food bills rack up ridiculously fast, and home-cooked is a lot healthier for you unless you fry everything :p Edit: Also this didn't come from laziness from my side. Laziness is the unwillingness to do anything, whereas a lot of the shit I do like that isn't because of that but just my brain being like "hey we're doing this now". Not saying I'm not lazy, cause I am, but wanting to point out it's not necessarily laziness, it can be other things too.


GeloDiPrimavera

Yes, I'm lazy. My fast food is too far away and I'm too scared to open door for the delivery people.


SuchAFunAge2

This is true for a lot of people, but lets not forget that food deserts are real things - areas where the nearest grocery store with affordable healthy food simply doesn't exist. In these places, the dollar menu/cheapest fast food options ARE cheaper, and you see this all over. It's one reason why it's so expensive to be poor.


bakinbaker0418

The only time fast food is cheaper is if your buying just a one or 2 items off the dollar menu. I'm cheap when it comes to fast food so fuck paying 7-10 bucks for a burger, fries and a drink when I can buy a McChicken and small fries and drink some.water for under 3 bucks. But I also agree buying/growing your own food is cheaper in the long run tastes better when you cook it and you can have left overs.


VivianCold

Fast food isn't cheaper but it's, surprise surprise, faster. After being up since 5-6am and coming back from work at 7-8pm, the last thing I want to do is cook while I'm already starving. It's worth my money to either order out or get fast food. I'm not lazy because I would rather spend the few hours I have at home with self care like working out, showering, taking care of my face and hair and going to bed early so I get 8h of sleep in. If I get home earlier, I like to cook too but it's far down the priority list. Also, cooking isn't the cheapest overall option compared to the extremely affordable freezer foods like pizza and snack foods like ramen. If you're really on a tight budget (like I was at uni) cooking fresh still isn't something you could afford.


DanOfIron

Yeah completely agree. For the price of a burger from BK/McD, one of the big ones, I could make multiple at better quality and flavour. Take aways should be a treat like once a month.


Gerbilguy46

If you eat off the dollar menu every time then I would say it's actually cheaper. But yeah I don't think most people do that.


whytakemyusername

Aint cost or laziness - my wife would cook! Sometimes, I just want a dirty burger.


neubiiAUT

If I eat a fast food restaurant then it’s costs me between 10-20€. When I buy groceries for a decent meal and then some for snacks it’s pretty much the same except I might have leftovers to cook on the next day or more, ingredients and spices, you could even go further and cook stock with bones, so no, fast food isn’t cheaper. You could just buy some sausages and call it meal too. Supermarket fast food


dog-gone-

I think you should compare something like Mc Donalds to frozen food because people are factoring condiments and all the other stuff in the burger. I think it misses the whole point. Plus, apparently everyone in this thread is single. Getting McD for 4 people is definitely NOT cheaper than cooking at home. People are talking about getting these 2$ meals. ok. that isn't what most people eat.


JaneBlow42

But to cook regularly you need: A home with running water and electricity A kitchen with a refrigerator, stove and oven, pots and utensils A kitchen free of pests (cockroaches, mice, ants) Time during business hours to go grocery shopping A means of transporting groceries to your home Time and energy to prepare food Any one of these things could be a significant roadblock to regular home cooked meals for many people.


bakedgoods10

There are a lot more factors that go into people eating fast food other than 'laziness'.


HealthMundane5509

Spuds turnip carrot sweet corn and meat. Cheaper and clean eating.


Plumb789

I don't know about lazy. I've been feverishly trying to teach some younger members of my family how to cook, but it doesn't seem to "stick". I've been called the "orphanage cook" because I can make a whole array of delicious meals out of the cheapest ingredients (ok: I know that sounds very arrogant, but the truth is, my knowledge is NOT my doing. My mum went through WW2 and her ability to cook was legendary-at a time when food was extremely scarce. I was brought up on gorgeous, traditional, cheap -and ecologically sound-eating). Every now and again new members have joined our family, and I have a sense of urgency about teaching them. Several of them have WANTED to learn and I've spent time teaching them, but it hasn't "stuck". I think it's INCREDIBLY difficult to PERMANENTLY change to home cooking when you were brought up on pre-prepared food.


SharpyTarpy

Lol @ the people in this sub still defending fast food decisions. OP isn’t talking about when you’re tired or lazy, it’s when you’re doing it more than once or twice a week. It’s when it’s consistent


iforgot69

Bro fast food isn't cheap at all. I paid $13 for a meal at McDonalds that not to long ago was $8.


AerazZo

Who the fuck thinks it’s cheaper? Ordering food was always one of my biggest expenses and i am conscious i was being just lazy, but i was always aware its way more expensive.


oXASTONXo

A lot of people in the comments seem to think that it is.


90s_Brand_Sarcasm

Has anyone ever said fast food is cheaper than making your own meal?


ctilvolover23

People on this very thread are actually defending that.


90s_Brand_Sarcasm

Silly. For $10 where I am I can buy 8 - 1/4 lb. burger patties, 8 buns, and ketchup. For an extra $5 I can have lettuce for weeks, tomatoes and onions.That's minimum 8 quarter pounders for $15. Find it at a fast food joint


sexypantstime

What about spices, other condiments, oil for grilling? McDonald's quarter pounder also has cheese, onions, tomatoes, and other stuff that I can't be bothered to look up. Economies of scale really do make fast food in US pretty much as cheap as cooking at home. It sucks because it's not healthy, but judging by your recipe of just meat, ketchup, and bun for ~$1.88 you can get a double hamburger for $1.89


indeliblegirl1209

I made a pot of beans tonight for dinner that prob cost $1 all together. Add in some homemade tortillas, and you could have a meal for an entire family for cents per person. Meat is where it gets more expensive, but Aldi’s has some great deals.


mriv70

Fast food is the lowest grade food that can legally be sold.


hans_foodler

Not true. You can buy food from a gas station.


peterthooper

It might be unpopular, I don’t know, but it’s certainly true.


oldschoolshooter

It isn't.


peterthooper

Well, around here, it is.


4eyes2mouths

Taco bell's $1 Cravings menu


bronzeageretard

i can live off a pot of beans and pork belly for like two weeks lol and it's really cheap


inelastic-goods

Maybe where you live, but in some areas grocery stores are far and few in between. Most of them being bought out by dollar stores, convenience stores, and fats food places. Some areas have had to institute limits on how many of these businesses can operate in an area, in order to keep the grocery stores they have.


FearNoMonkey

ITT: a lot of unhealthy, overweight people doing their absolute BEST to justify their overspending and overeating


SJHCJellyBean

Ehhh depends where you live. An apple here costs 80 cents but if I drive an hour it’s like 80 cents a pound. Not everyone can drive an hour. A hamburger meal at McDonald’s costs 3.99 and will feed a family cheaper once than eating HEALTHY at home. And I think most peoples point is that a HEALTHY diet in lots of areas would cost more than just eating out. You CAN live on rice and beans but you can’t ignore that people have to GET the rice and beans Feeding a family makes the difference much more noticeable than alone or even as a couple. And don’t get be started on urban food deserts


salivating_sculpture

Apples are not cheap. Don't buy apples and then try to compare that to fast food. Rice, beans, oats, lentils, pasta, potatoes, flour, etc... are all dirt cheap. I spend less than $100/month on groceries while also ensuring I get 100% of the DV for every essential nutrient.


SJHCJellyBean

Yeah? I spent $100 in gas to GET to the grocery store twice a month where milk is reasonable and get groceries for two weeks. It’s not feasible to do it any less often. Not everyone who needs to travel to get affordable food can. McDonald’s can afford to ship burger crap to rural locations. The vast overreaching assumptions are thick around here, and they make it impossible to have reasonable conversations


salivating_sculpture

> I spent $100 in gas to GET to the grocery store. Gross exaggerations don't really lend you any credibility.


SJHCJellyBean

Yes. Every time is what I meant. Obviously. Boring argumentative child is boring. Have a great day and the last word if it makes you feel better.


sexypantstime

I don't believe you. At 30 mpg and like $4 a gallon your closest store would have to be 184 miles from your house. At 20 mpg that drops down to 125 miles. I think you're full of shit or your car gets like 3mpg


ctilvolover23

So, everyone eats a quarter of a burger, a quarter of the fries, and consumes a quarter of the pop?


[deleted]

I'm not lazy I'm just a bad cook and know it. I'm staying in my own lane.


Icy-Flamingo-9693

You’re correct OP and people trying to argue otherwise are rationalizing their laziness/willful ignorance.


oXASTONXo

" I dont have time " people like to exaggerate that issue.


mooistcow

> people like to exaggerate Surviving on a monthly food budget of sub $40 at Aldi totally isn't exaggerating, though 🙃


oXASTONXo

https://youtu.be/xsdzaovXoWo The $ is worth less then the £ This is a uk example, the original post said £15 a week so £60 a month.


[deleted]

[удалено]


[deleted]

Yea bro I just don’t have any time to cook *spends 5 hours a day browsing social media*


oXASTONXo

Insulting people doesnt help your argument, and if you don't have 15 minutes to make a meal then you're a victim and should find a new job.


donotholdyourbreath

yeah saying 'eat healthy is cheap'. you have to chop the vegetables, wash etc if you want it to be truly healthy. And yes, you should chop it because cooking a big broccoli isn't gonna cook it well.


Brain_Wrinkled

I don’t believe there is a counter argument for this very popular opinion.


Bowling_with_Ramona

- I don't have a car or any means of learning to drive - I don't have enough storage in my apartment that I share with several others to store food in bulk or store spices, kitchen supplies and utensils - I am overworked and often do not have the energy to cook myself a meal from scratch These things all lead to frozen food being the cheapest and most reasonable option and fast food coming in second.


BuddhaFacepalmed

Not every neighborhood has an Aldi's, nor is it feasible for someone to spend even more of what little free time they have to travel hours away for grocery shopping.


Brain_Wrinkled

If you’re in England and stronger than an 8 year old girl, you could throw a stone in literally any direction and you’d be likely to put it through the window of an Aldi or Lidl.


SJHCJellyBean

Well in America if you aren’t at least middle class we don’t give a shit if you can throw a stone at a grocery store or not. Therefore urban food desserts are a large social issue in this country. In a large city there may be an Aldi in every corner but that isn’t true in every city or even in every part of larger ones


Brain_Wrinkled

I wish you spoke and typed in English in America so we could understand what you are trying to communicate.


Grazthespaz

He has got a point. When I went on holiday to the US is so cheap to eat out whereas fresh produce is expensive. I know meat can be relatively expensive in the UK but I don't think we realise that its cheaper than the US and its a much better quality. UK quality meat in the states in expensive. Also our fresh fruit and veg in the UK is dirt cheap compared to the US.


salivating_sculpture

>whereas fresh produce is expensive. Have you tried checking the prices of foods that are known to actually be cheap such as rice, beans, oats, lentils, pasta, potatoes, flour, etc... ? These are staples in my diet and I spend less than $100/month on food. Also, these types of foods are really good to have on hand regardless, due to their long shelf life and the ability to easily purchase large amounts (25+ lb bags) at a time.


NotYetASerialKiller

I don’t like rice, beans, oats, lentils or potatoes:(


SJHCJellyBean

Holy god. The lack of understanding is thick. You aren’t even attempting to think about it from a different point of view. Have a great day and the last word if you insist


centeruser

Wow! What a well thought out rebuttal, backed up with facts and data! Doesn't at all suggest you've realized how hysterically stupid your argument is and are simply deflecting to pull attention away from that fact! Kudos!


philmarcracken

Americans like to believe they live in 'food deserts' because they can't access anything but drive thru. Me thinks they don't drive anywhere else to look


misunderstoodsharks

People shouldn't have to drive 20+ miles to reach a grocery store. Americans aren't stupid fast food-crazed pigs, some of us just can't afford to drive that far to buy food. It's a waste of time and gas.


philmarcracken

There are inventions like fridges, freezers and this fancy new thing called cans.


voidofstars

and do you think the people who have to work hours & hours to barely make rent have the time to drive 20 miles out to put that food in their refrigerators? why is the concept of a food desert so unrealistic to you? some stores literally won't build in some areas because of demographics and their brand image being ruined. also some canned foods usually have a lot of added sugar/salt which really doesn't make it any better than fast food.


Ponchorello7

I took this personally, lol. Honestly, in *some* cases it is cheaper but yeah, the reality is that most of the time I eat out to avoid cooking.


liamboyy1

Depends how much you value your time I guess, I cook my own meals mostly but if I’m running late one day I’ll happily get takeaway. Costs a little extra but is fully prepared for me


oXASTONXo

The post wasnt for people who occasionally buy take always ( I do it) it was more based on the people who eat it multiple times a week and complain about the price of healthy ingredients.


HillbillySwank

Aldo is gross generic garbage for the most part. OP is fixing fast food with discount food lol.


Own-Fox9066

Went to make spaghetti and meatballs last night with the gf, was almost $30 in ingredients and we didn’t even get the expensive stuff. With increasing costs in parts of the country cooking at home is getting more and more expensive. If you consider the amount of time it took me to cook all that you could even add that opportunity cost to the equation.


ctilvolover23

What kind of meatballs are you buying? A jar of pasta sauce is a dollar and so is the box of spaghetti. So, that leaves about twenty-eight dollars for meatballs.