T O P
SquareWheel

>As you might have heard, Reddit is internationalizing. Since 2019, we’ve opened offices in Canada, the UK, Australia, and Germany. I had not heard. In the past, Reddit pursued centralizing its office and work force which led to some employees leaving. Was enticing global talent the main reason behind this change, or is it simply the result of reddit's growth and need for more people?


greeniethemoose

Do you mean way back in 2015?


SquareWheel

Maybe? It's impossible to google anything related to reddit the company, as any searches just bring up reddit threads.


greeniethemoose

Yeah the last time I’m aware of them centralizing and losing staff because they required everyone to move to SF was like in 2015, and under a previous ceo (I believe Pao). Basically we’ve somehow gotten old and I think you’re prob referring to something that happened in a very different era.


beIIe-and-sebastian

Yeah that happened. Victoria was a very popular Reddit employee that helped organise AMAs. She lost her job when they required her to move to SF from NY.


greeniethemoose

My point is mostly that this stuff is really ancient and almost no one who works at Reddit today has the weirdly long memory that we do, or was working here at that time. Fwiw though, victorias layoff was separate from the force relocation.


Realtrain

Yo u/yishan can you confirm?


Blitztavia

Add -site:reddit.com to the search and it will exclude results from reddit


ok-confusion19

2015 wasn't that lon....ho lee fuck 7 years ago :(


LastBluejay

This is actually about supporting our mission and serving our increasingly global community. Those four countries in which we’ve opened offices represent our largest non-US markets. So having physical offices to support those markets was the next logical step. Though yes, having offices in other countries absolutely does open up opportunities to hire local talent (and psst, [we are hiring](https://www.redditinc.com/careers)).


Khyta

>(and psst, [we are hiring](https://www.redditinc.com/careers)). Sadly I'm seeing no jobs opening for IT in Germany. What do you do at that location?


ok-confusion19

Figure out how to get more people to use their mobile app instead of a mobile browser


farleymfmarley

maybe they could try making it not terrible to use lol \- written from the browser included on my xbox series s, because it is easier for me to use reddit on here than my cellphone.


reset1100

Really, I think US companies should pull a Kubrick on problematic countries instead of trying trying to placate them. When Britain went nuts over A Clockwork Orange, Kubrick simply yanked it out of theaters there and focused on countries that weren’t going nuts. Problem solved. Reddit doesn’t need to chase down every little penny out there, does it? I’m sure you guys have enough problems dealing with US laws. Is the extra money really worth the extra headache? If Reddit focuses on the US and countries outside the US are threatening to ban the site or whatever, you can prop your feet on the table, relax, and say “That’s the saddest story I’ve heard all day.” Seems like now you’ll be constantly in sweaty, white-knuckled meetings trying to keep a half-dozen Parliaments happy so they don’t arrest your employees for lese-majesty.


Bardfinn

Operating in countries which present minor regulatory difficulties / hurdles is also about presenting people in those countries an opportunity for anonymous free speech. The principle of anonymous free speech is important, even when bad actors attempt to dilute it.


reset1100

That's true. But I think by making them come to you is more effective than trying to avoid getting hammered by them. By trying to play by their rules, your handing them a lot of power and validating their attempts at oppression. If we're sitting over here getting our Reddit and YouTube and whatnot, the citizens over there are going to be yelling at their governments, "Why can't we have that here?!" It's going to look bad for them. They'll start looking like Soviet Union trying keep people from climbing the Berlin Wall to get to freedom. Note: Forgive me if I do not respond in a timely manner. Reddit has suddenly decided that me posting once an hour looks like I've been doing that a lot and wants me to take break.


Bardfinn

& in this analogy, Reddit is Radio Free Europe. -- Cheers


throwawayimmigrant2k

Absolutely right! > As you might have heard, Reddit is internationalizing. [...] We’ve been troubled to see legislative proposals and other developments that would threaten redditors [...] Okay, so gtfo of those countries, and stop internationalizing. If they had a good reason for explaining why they need an office in another country - such as that country *requiring* you to have an office if you're a company of X size or Y revenue that makes their goods/services available to citizens of that country - that would be one thing. If it's just "I'm a real global corp now!" then... just, don't?


Askforanswers1

First solution would be to end the abuse by certain moderators.


haltingpoint

Having worked closely with policy partners in the digital publisher platform space... How can you reconcile standing for anonymity when your policies allow for the leveraging of PI to be associated with user signals to be used by advertisers?


antique-prosecutor

Isn't Reddit only free to use because of the ads? Preventing the platform from using data to target ads would make that business model untenable.


haltingpoint

To a degree. It isn't binary. They still have plenty of signals useful for advertising that are contextual and not tied to individuals.


antique-prosecutor

Yeah, that's a good point. The comment elsewhere in the thread mentioning subreddit topics as a strong contextual signal makes a lot of sense. Still, there's some personal info that feels very reasonable to leverage for ads. Like if Reddit wants to infer my country of residence from my IP address to increase the relevance of their ads, I don't think they're overstepping at all.


LastBluejay

We feel strongly that users should be in control of how much information they choose to share and how that information is used. We make it a point to minimize the data that we collect about users in the first place. We don’t require your name, gender, email, or other PII, and except for the IP address used to create an account (i.e., the registration IP address), we automatically delete any IP addresses collected after 100 days. We provide you controls to customize how we personalize your recommendations. We also provide an [Anonymous Browsing Mode](https://reddit.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360045622611-What-is-Anonymous-Browsing-and-how-does-it-work-) for when you want to browse the Reddit mobile app without associating your Reddit activity (like your Reddit searches or the communities you view) with your Reddit account.


haltingpoint

Thanks for the thoughtful response. A couple specific follow-ups if you don't mind talking shop a bit further. 1. Last I checked, registering via email is *strongly* encouraged with what I could only describe as a dark pattern to make the non-email registration as hidden as possible. Do you feel that your current registration flow embodies the spirit of your policy stance? Certainly the business impact of having a resilient identifier for use with building cumulative user profiles that interoperate across the ad ecosystem is considerable and I could see the business value winning out in such a revenue vs policy decision (I've been in the industry for nearly two decades, I know how the sausage is made). 2. Can you confirm that signals and resulting use in downstream models and user/audience profiles generated by an IP are likewise purged retroactively when the IP is deleted? If not, forgive me but I'm struggling to see how that would then be impactful towards a privacy centric stance then. "We retained all the info you generated and associated it with your user ID and any other identifiers we have, but at least we deleted your IP address, which has no major impact to our ability to monetize your data or otherwise associate back to you" isn't quite as strong a stance as I'd like to see here.


WayeeCool

>Certainly the business impact of having a resilient identifier for use with building cumulative user profiles that interoperate across the ad ecosystem is considerable and I could see the business value winning out in such a revenue vs policy decision I mean a lot of us longtime users just have an annual subscription to reddit premium not just because it means we don't even have to use an ad blocker but it helps encourage Redditinc to not go the social media personal data collection for monetization route. One of Reddits biggest value for many of us is it's the only major platform that tries not to be social media, tries not to make the users the product, and instead tries to treat the user as the customer. Furthermore even without collecting personal information on individual users reddit has the unique ability to still allow advertisers to target ads at relevant demographics because by targeting a specific subreddit they can hyper focus their ads in some ways better than the personal targeting of individuals used by Facebook/Google/Amazon. For example if a company is selling PC hardware accessories they can be sure that any ads they run on r/pcmasterrace will be seen by people with real interest in their products even without there being profiles on personal information of individual users.


haltingpoint

I think contextual is great for Reddit, but will not drive the revenue they want on it's own. Also, do you happen to know if buying premium prevents them from including your data in models for ads even if you are not served ads? Your data could still be quite valuable (potentially even more so). Plus, it is then tied back your CC and is about as deterministic an identifier match as it gets, and also opens the door to credit informed data acquisitions to augment their user profiles and models.


roboraptor3000

How do you turn on anonymous browsing?


Kastranrob

tap on your avatar in right corner -> tap on your username below your avatar # now you will see the option for anonymous browsing.


roboraptor3000

Oh, I totally missed it was a mobile app thing! Thanks though!


VictoryNapping

The silence is deafening.


grenade71822

Has any practical actions been taken that isn’t just straight lobbying? Does this group do anything about state sponsored misinformation since you are communicating with governments?


LastBluejay

So as a public policy team, our main role is to interface with governments in the ways that are described above. And since most governments that sponsor misinformation aren’t going to crib to it in a meeting, we as a company tackle that issue through more direct measures, such as blocking known disinformation domains. The team at r/redditsecurity actually writes about it a lot over there in the context of the “Content Manipulation” section of their quarterly safety and security reports. And when they break up a particularly noteworthy effort, they will often do a more detailed report, like [this one](https://www.reddit.com/r/redditsecurity/comments/ha885d/secondary_infektion_the_big_picture/) on the Russian Secondary Infektion operation, to give users insight into the tactics that bad actors try to use to manipulate them. Because moderation on Reddit is a shared community responsibility in which our users play a significant part through modding and voting, we find it useful to share information like this so that everyone can be more informed of what to look out for.


grenade71822

I am now subscribed to r/redditsecurity so thanks for that. I guess my question was more along the line of, is Reddit lobbying governments to influence legislation/legislators about misinformation and craft policy around it?


LastBluejay

We do speak with governments about this a lot, and as you can imagine, the conversations are complicated because everyone means something a bit different when they say “misinformation.” Sadly, for a lot of governments, the term essentially means “information that opposes our official position.” We have been especially wary of misinformation laws that empower the government to remove content, or even worse, force platforms to carry the government line. That said, it IS important to have a high quality information environment out there. But government enforced censorship is not likely to be the way to support that (in fact, studies like [this one](https://royalsociety.org/topics-policy/projects/online-information-environment/), by the UK’s Royal Society, point out that it may even backfire by further undermining public trust). We talk a lot about this at length, especially with democracies who genuinely want to do the right thing but don’t realize that their legislative attempts in this area often provide [a negative example that authoritarian states can co-opt](http://justitia-int.org/en/the-digital-berlin-wall-how-germany-created-a-prototype-for-global-online-censorship/). As Reporters Without Borders has written, “[When leading democracies devise draconian legislation, they provide repressive regimes with ideas.](https://rsf.org/en/russian-bill-copy-and-paste-germany-s-hate-speech-law)”


A_Cat_Named_Frank

> (an upvote is not a like), You keep saying that but we all know how these things really work.


SoundOfTomorrow

We knew how it worked back in 2009. The etiquette is bullshit because it only gets enforced by the admins in gray areas.


m1ndwipe

Reddit's policy team has done a pretty poor job of defending against the UK Online Safety Bill, bluntly. You've said nothing of substance against the age verification provisions. You've done nothing to raise awareness - if the general public were aware of the consequences of the bill they'd be furious, but we're not seeing anything like the fight you did for Net Neutrality in the US. You've said nothing about the quasi FOSTA provision on sex workers. You made no meaningful contributions to the select committees. You made no witness appearances. You have not countered any of the "think of the children" propaganda from the NSPCC.


fighterace00

> We know that these filters never actually function You might want to share this info with your other departments that are auto suspending people for keyword hits saying things like "men suck" and mods quoting user's rule breaking language that would easily be dismissed under manual review.


audentis

> Reddit’s structure differs from most social media platforms in that it is built on communities, not individuals. **These communities (called “subreddits”) are primarily governed and moderated by the users themselves, on a volunteer basis, in a layered, *democratic* framework.** This community moderation structure is the most important factor in informing our views on this bill. Since when is moderation democratic? - Existing mods select new mods. - Mods have a strict hierarchy where seniority strictly equals power. - Users have no formal influence of any kind. - Users can only start their own subreddit to flee from mods they disagree with. - Reddit admins rarely intervene in alive subs, and when they do it's rarely what the community wants.


Astro4545

Also mods can ban you for calling out their abuse.


Koffiato

Ah, like the r/Turkey mods. They monitor other some particular subreddits and gladly ban you if they don't like what you say about them/subreddit. I think this is against Reddit's own 'rules' but admins never did anything about it. Not to mention most of the moderation team are wildy invested in subreddits that belong to the same political ideology. So any time something political becomes controversial in the sub, you bet the mods aren't gonna be the most objective. Oh, by the way, they have some alt accounts that side with them all the time, regardless of the situation. We've had a decision so unpopular that at one point, the announcement sticky pulled a fine 6% upvote. Of course the alta were there, downvoted to hell but had gold/platinum awards which are INSANELY expensive for Turkish people. Not just r/Turkey too. We've had Toyota debacle in r/Cars when Toyota decided that remote starting your car should be a monthly subscription. One of the mods were heavily invested in Toyota (IDK about financially) so the situation quickly became [removed]. Not even a sticky thread, any criticism & reaction was completely wiped. Reddit is not a free platform by any means. Moderators holding infinite power over users & not having any one/thing to answer to is never gonna be truly free. Especially when Reddit's own 'rules'are bunch of vague statements. Edit: [This](https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/r0m15s) is another golden r/Cars moment.


FCKjoeBidenFCKtheATF

Whats up with moderators misusing their authority to ban people without having justification and proof. It’s ruining reddit. You guys need to hire real moderators that will get repercussions when they ban people without a legitimate reason and not understanding their own rules on the subreddit. If they can’t comprehend basic rules how can they enforce it ? You need to make a function to report moderators who make reddit look bad by banning people for their own gains and opinionated reasons.


1-760-706-7425

Your first policy change should be to [fix AEO](https://reddit.com/r/ModSupport/comments/w6cuff/six_months_ago_you_werent_surprised_that_3540_of/).


Ged_UK

What's AEO?


1-760-706-7425

Reddit’s Anti-Evil Operations manual review process. It used to be good but lately, they find no issues with things like open transphobia, death threats, etc.


fighterace00

And auto suspend people for auto triggered keywords that a manual review would easily show it's not rule breaking


Bardfinn

I have no evidence that Reddit automatically actions, or has *ever* **actioned**, anything submitted to the service, outside of a very specifically defined set of content (where mandated for legal reasons) - **without a user report**. Reddit’s model has been to avoid establishing a precedent that they have a duty to implement the above-mentioned “standard technical measures” - because “standard technical measures” aren’t standardised and usually aren’t technical (they usually come down to an employee making an editorial or moderation decision). And Reddit isn’t in the business of publishing, editorializing, or having employees babysit user content. The User Agreement says that users assume all liability for what they upload, and disclaims any duty for Reddit to review it. People just don’t get suspended simply because they wrote a comment with a “bad word” in it. If Reddit is automating actioning a user account for content submitted, it’s because that content is like … an NFL livestream, or matches a NCMEC hash table entry, or an anti-terrorism working group’s content-aware detection system - and everything I know about how Reddit handles those, from years of reporting them, shows that the automated system just “shadowbans” the user and content pending review by a human. *** That said: there’s a plague of dog piling *false* reports on items in order to subvert AEO. The core of the problem is “how to counter those false reports” and/or “how to mitigate their downstream effects”


fighterace00

And you don't have any evidence to the contrary either. Granted my knowledge is anecdotal and I can't know if there was human review or not. I do know that AEO has removed text only comments from my small private sub with no user reports and suspended or issued warnings to users for items that could only be a keyword flag or possibly lazy reviewers. I've noticed a strong surge in this type activity the last few months. Several in the last few months vs none in the previous 3 years. This is a small private sub so it's not part of some canvassing campaign to overwhelm AEO. We probably get no more than 10 user reports in a year and our most wholesome member gets an official warning.


Bardfinn

> small private sub That’s definitely a situation separate from what I deal with, which is public subreddits. I do know that Reddit promised to proactively enforce Sitewide rules in private subreddits; my entire dataset for AEO actioning items in private subreddits comes from leaks of those subreddits - where they were effectively no longer private - and a single instance of an item in a one-member private subreddit being actioned pursuant to a law enforcement order or subpoena (not automated).


fighterace00

Oh and you missed the fact Reddit recently announced an automated filter they're beta testing for mods to use in subreddits.


Bardfinn

My main subreddit is beta testing that filter. None of the content interdicted from going live in my subreddit thanks to that filter, **none** of it has been actioned by AEO without us escalating it - we **still** have to report it. It’s also not as robust as our automoderator-driven interdiction process. So, again - the Hateful Content filter being beta tested *does not prompt AEO action on items* in public subreddits.


[deleted]

[удалено]


h0nest_Bender

The entire concept is misguided.


Jazzlike_Athlete8796

Agreed. There is no real indication that AEO has ever had an issue with homophobia, transphobia, misogyny, racism, etc. It has only ever done the bare minimum possible to either get the media off Reddit's back or to try and head off the threat of the media getting on Reddit's back. It certainly has never actually cared about the communities it supposedly supports.


SwissCanuck

Can we talk about child porn? I’ve submitted at least 6 reports. Only one was dealt with because they actually mentioned outright in the post title that they were under age. In other cases I found they’d mentioned their age in a comment on another sub, sometimes just hours or days before their NSFW post, and I always get back « no violation occurred » like WTF Reddit??


Bardfinn

I want to offer a counterpoint: The *first line AEO reviewers* will *sometimes* miss open transphobia, death threats, etc. Reddit AEO processes tens of thousands of reports *each day*. If they collectively correctly action 9999/10000 of those, that’s a 0.01% error rate. If they collectively correctly action 9990/10000 of those, that’s still ~0.01% error rate, arguably a 0.1% error rate **however** It’s *a tenfold increase in wrongly actioned items*. If half of those people each week publicize their Bad Experience, that impression explodes in the public perception of how well Reddit AEO operates. There’s definitely been cases where an AEO review of a report misses *outright hateful slurs* - I have a file for tracking where and how I can confirm AEO does the wrong thing, where the process is subverted, where false report dogpiles are used to harass women & LGBTQ people & chill free speech — *however* There is a process of oversight for those mistakes, through escalating them to /r/modsupport. I track how those escalations are resolved, closely. I also wrote a process for my subreddit to investigate wrongful AEO removals (performed pursuant to false reports) and wrongful AEO non-violating findings, and hold AEO accountable for those. In the past six months, we’ve only not had a reversal on an AEO action / non-action *once*, and that is attributable to factors beyond our knowledge. That doesn’t make it any easier for the people who keep running into these problems, though. And Reddit can’t publicize their criteria / process (or people will directly circumvent it), but they can commit (as they regularly do) to review and correction and oversight of AEO’s mistakes. To sum up: * AEO makes mistakes; * We learn anecdotally about the relatively few mistakes and never about the mass of times it works properly; * Reddit has a process for oversight of AEO; * Reddit works to improve the process, & accepts constructive criticism of the process. **** I gripe about AEO mistakes practically full time on Reddit but I also constantly offer feedback and constructive criticism - which is the more important thing to do.


1-760-706-7425

Counterpoint: I have an open call to violence sent to AEO. AEO has rejected it four times even though r/modsupport agreed it should be removed and has escalated it each subsequent time. The system is broken.


Cool_Ranch_Dodrio

The system is broken *as intended*.


Jazzlike_Athlete8796

+1 for the well attempted explanation, but the litany of concerns posted to /r/modsupport - sometimes repeatedly so - argues strongly that not only is your view of AEO's error rate is off by multiple factors of 10, but also that appealing to modsupport is a waste of time. Evidently AEO's solution to this problem is to [prevent mods from seeing what AEO is doing](https://www.reddit.com/r/ModSupport/comments/wk3kjq/aeo_removals_now_being_invisible_to_mods_in_all/) to obfuscate its own mistakes. Which makes appealing even less viable. That's just a brief perusal of modsupport. I could add my own anecdotes of AEO arguing casual misogyny as being fine, and a post where I intended to report a violation of a rule - forced upon the sub by the admins - to the mods, and instead had AEO reply to tell me that Reddit's own mandated rule did not break Reddit's rules. Both of these happening within the last couple weeks. AEO sucks, and the algorithms it uses for initial triage is garbage.


Bardfinn

>a rule - forced upon the sub by the admins The Reddit admins don’t force rules on subreddits; the Sitewide Rules are what everyone agrees to to use Reddit. The admins do *restrain* **some** communities from tools which they **abuse** in order to harm others - by abusing the tools to violate Sitewide rules. The content behind AEO interstitials, `[Removed by Reddit]` are visible to mods in the mod logs interface, *except* in cases where no one has a reason to view the material - people’s home addresses, credit card info, leaked nudes, and CSAM. Which is the kind of thing we, as volunteer mods, shouldn’t have to see and shouldn’t have access to once Reddit actions them under SWR3 &4 — period.


Jazzlike_Athlete8796

> The Reddit admins don’t force rules on subreddits Yes, they do. In my example, the report was because /r/gme_meltdown was required by the admins to censor out the names of any and all users or subs in any submission or comment because the meme stock cultists cried incessantly about how mean it was to mock them. This despite the fact that almost no other sub that lampoons reddit internal nuttery faces similar bans, and despite the fact that /r/superstonk especially is very notable for using unredacted comments as a jumping off point for harassment and to brigade any and every community it can shill its meme stock to. And the reason why, in its entirety, is because the cultists were buying tons and tons of awards. As always, Reddit admins' view of what's "evil" or not is entirely dependent on whether a decision will make or lose money. Buy enough awards, and you can harass people, threaten violence, brigade, and libel others all you want. And AEO won't do a single thing about it.


Bardfinn

> required by the admins to censor out the names of any and all users or subs in any submission or comment because because the audience of the subreddit would go harass the people username-pinged, username-cited, depicted in screenshot, etcetera. ---- https://www.reddithelp.com/hc/en-us/articles/360043071072 # Do not threaten, harass, or bully ###We do not tolerate the harassment, threatening, or bullying of people on our site; nor do we tolerate communities dedicated to this behavior. Reddit is a place for conversation, and in that context, we define this behavior as anything that works to shut someone out of the conversation through intimidation or abuse, online or off. Depending on the context, this can take on a range of forms, from directing unwanted invective at someone to following them from subreddit to subreddit, just to name a few. Behavior can be harassing or abusive regardless of whether it occurs in public content (e.g. a post, comment, username, subreddit name, subreddit styling, sidebar materials, etc.) or private messages/chat. ---- This rule was not forced on the subreddit - it is a sitewide rule, and moderators are **required**, to operate a community on Reddit, to take appropriate action to counter & prevent violations of the Sitewide Rules. If a group cannot stop harassing people who are named in front of them, then the problem isn't with Reddit - the problem is with the group. Also > almost no other sub that lampoons reddit internal [redacted] faces similar bans I help run /r/AgainstHateSubreddits. The 3000 subreddits which Reddit banned in June 2020? Most of those were hate subreddits. Many of them hid their hate & harassment behind "We're satire" and "we're parody" and "we're acting out of love" and "We just have _concerns_". In the two years since, there's been a lot more of those -- also banned. The phenomenon of these groups engaging in this kind of [Denial, Dismissal, Defense and Derailment](https://i.redd.it/w93lurur9l861.jpg) is why [Sitewide Rule 1](https://www.reddithelp.com/hc/en-us/articles/360045715951) specifies: > While the rule on hate protects such groups, it **does not protect those** who promote attacks of hate or **who try to hide their hate in bad faith claims of discrimination**. What that means in plain english is that "these excuses are flimsy and no one is buying them". > Reddit admins' view of what's "evil" or not I actually have not [merely one](https://old.reddit.com/r/AgainstHateSubreddits/comments/qkoq9m/towards_a_vocabulary_and_ontology_for_classifying/) but [two](https://old.reddit.com/r/AgainstHateSubreddits/comments/qlcf2x/towards_a_vocabulary_and_ontology_for_classifying/) pieces I've authored about how Reddit's evaluation of, and enforcement of, Reddit Sitewide Rule 1 is objectively justified, with citations to peer-reviewed, published scientific literature. I'm citing these above - not because I expect to persuade you (the scientific literature says that citing scientific literature to people who come to their conclusions without reading the scientific literature doesn't persuade them) - but to demonstrate to any audience that reads this later (like public policy wonks in governments) that I have an evidence-backed, reasoned argument, and an expert opinion, about how Reddit enforces their sitewide rules. What this exchange says about your position? Well, you've exemplified that.


foamed

AEO is not manually reviewed, it's a bot network.


reaper527

> Your first policy change should be to fix AEO. not to mention it's insane that their AEO doesn't pick up people who abuse the "crisis alert" feature to harass people. of course, the admins don't actually CARE about this and[ their official solution](https://i.imgur.com/4w4ueRC.png) is "just block the bot". they should rename the bot to "RedditDoesntCare. everyone knows that the people who abuse this are sending those alerts out in large volume. it's insane that this doesn't cause their accounts to get flagged.


SuperBry

In respect to Dobbs, and lobbying can sometimes be a dirty word, but have you reached out to state legislatures where you have physical presence about enacting shield laws on request from out of state governments for abortion information requests similar to the recent Facebook one?


LastBluejay

We’ve not yet engaged in this level of detail given the situation is so new and evolving, but we are keeping a close eye on the situation and will look for ways to protect against government overreach. That said, the issue of law enforcement requests for data is something that we have always taken extremely seriously and it’s an area where, even before Dobbs, we have strict processes to protect our users. Our legal team hand reviews every government or law enforcement request that we receive. Specifically, we are assessing them for facial validity and legal sufficiency. We also check that the request is appropriately narrow and not overbroad. We push back on requests that do not meet these standards. We also review the requests to make sure they are not objectionable for other reasons, such as information protected from disclosure under the First Amendment. When we are obligated to comply with a valid legal request, we strive to be as open as possible about it. Reddit’s policy is to attempt to provide its users with notice of requests and associated legal process seeking their information unless prohibited from doing so by statute or court order. Reddit will generally give the user a reasonable period of time to file an objection before producing responsive records. Where a statute or court order prohibits notice for a limited time period, Reddit attempts to provide notice upon expiration of that period. We also share in our annual [Transparency Report](https://www.redditinc.com/policies/transparency-report-2021) (see the section on “[Information Requests](https://www.redditinc.com/policies/transparency-report-2021#text-content8)”) the total number of requests we receive from each country, as well as the number of requests we complied with vs rejected. Given the privacy implications, we are always looking for meaningful ways to increase transparency around information requests, particularly in the US where we typically receive the largest volume. For example, we are exploring the addition of a breakdown by state for US requests in future reports so that users can know which states are being the most aggressive in terms of their information requests, and use that knowledge to make judgments about their personal privacy practices.


Halaku

**Questions:** How would any of the legal shenanigans that the UK, Australia, or other countries affect me as an American user? Are the proposals you mention only applicable in the geographic borders on the nation in question, or are y'all dealing with attempts to claim jurisdiction over the entire userbase? I've got my amount of stupidity when it comes to proposals from the geriatrics in DC... how much international stupid should I be concerned with Reddit being forced to inflict on me if they want to operate in the foreign nationality in question?


LastBluejay

As a matter of principle, we generally try to limit the scope of our response to any legal requirements to the geography of jurisdiction. That said, the original promise of the internet is that it’s global. Users should have access to the same information, experiences, and opportunities no matter where in the world they live. An increasing patchwork of national laws undermines that original promise, and we make that point to governments. If you're interested in learning more about why attempts at extra-territorial jurisdiction are especially harmful to the internet, Internet Society has a great paper on it [here](https://www.internetsociety.org/resources/doc/2018/the-internet-and-extra-territorial-effects-of-laws/).


Halaku

Thank you for the answer.


Jazzlike_Athlete8796

Honestly, outside of possibly the EU, there isn't a jurisdiction that has enough pull to force reddit into a change that would be global in nature. That said, simple laziness or expediency could push a foreign nation's decision into your Reddit space as a matter of choice. As an example, there have been examples of Canadian courts temporarily lifting a publication ban on a dangerous young offender previously not able to be named -- and then re-imposing the publication ban after said offender was captured. At that point, any Canadian outlet is banned from naming the person, but of course, the rest of the world need not follow Canadian jurisdiction on this. Reddit could choose to honour such a ban globally on its site rather than rely on geotargeted blocks since the former is just easier. That's only really a hypothetical though. I doubt Reddit itself has any more idea how it would handle such things than I do. Though they are probably trying to figure it out.


Forge__Thought

Love the work and the professional post! Please keep it up and keep doing this great work! Advocating for commons sense policies and legislation is, at best, an uphill battle. If you do well enough, I hope to see your team grow large enough to annex, and subsequently fix, the team that's in charge of making the video player worse. 🤘


twe4ked

> An Open Internet How about you open up the new Reddit features to your API so the users of the Internet can use whatever app they like?


Beginning-Self5933

I enjoyed the read. I'm rather interested in this legislation! Thank you Reddit and privacy policy team for your efforts in combat!


k8nwashington

Thank you for all your hard work.


parlaymyodds

Do you think Reddit admins will be held accountable when one of the cultists over at the GME investing subs does something awful in the real world because they’ve been spoon fed obvious lies that they’re owed millions of dollars?


reaper527

seems pretty hypocritical to claim to be defending the open internet while you allow mods to abuse their authority to simply ban anyone they disagree with (with no appeal process). you don't hold mods to the your own sitewide reddit community guidelines, so why should we trust you to do what's best for the internet as a whole?


CochReign

Reddit moderators are involved in lobbying the government? That's the worst thing I've ever heard.


PostDisillusion

I would appreciate it if you thought less about what you want the government to do for you and more about what you can do for society and government. Reddit is becoming ever more of a stain. Seriously nasty stuff is the norm and nice friendly groups are the exception. It’s top-down.


Aliensinnoh

Ok but online anonymity is important


nyperfox

Best thing ive read in a while


Chasith

If reddit is internationalizing, How can i work for reddit? I’m from Sri Lanka btw


FaviFake

https://www.redditinc.com/careers/#job-info


somerandomperson2516

i like your words magic man


NukEvil

Can you stop subreddits from automatically banning users who comment in other subreddits? Pretty certain it's against reddit's Terms of Service.


cindybubbles

Where can I get a job working for you? I live in Canada.


FaviFake

https://www.redditinc.com/careers/#job-info


cindybubbles

Thanks.


FaviFake

If you get the job make sure to delete the new video player ;)


stKKd

Start by defending Free Speech on your platform?


Disastrous_Ad9755

Xnxx


baksanmarajat

But you and your AgainstHateSubreddits snitches gladly enforce arbitrary "promotion of hate" bans on content that isn't even hateful and suppress free speech on your own platform. Talk about goddamn hypocrisy.


OPINION_IS_UNPOPULAR

What a fucking based team. I'm ecstatic that reddit is doing this. I think the team has actually been around for quite some time, at least informally. When was the team established and what are some of the largest victories you guys have been a part of? (Other than the comments on the "standard technical measures".


LastBluejay

This team was established in 2017, and we’ve worked in some way on pretty much every internet policy issue since then, either advocating directly with policymakers, submitting official comments and evidence like the ones linked in the main post, helping organize expert AMAs to educate Redditors on upcoming issues, or [alerting](https://www.redditinc.com/blog/error-copyright-not-detected-what-eu-redditors-can-expect-to-see-today-and-why-it-matters/) Redditors to contact their representatives directly. The thing about this work, though, is that even if we succeed in improving or stopping a harmful bill, there are not a lot of occasions to declare outright “victory.” This is because even if a bill is blocked, it can be reintroduced, or the bad ideas entailed can be recycled over and over again, both in future bills and in other countries. So we have to be constantly vigilant and the work never really ends.


RingsOfPowerAMA

You need to fix your appeal system first. It is broken.


snowletterH

*british* Reddit office🇬🇧


mrpopenfresh

What does CondeNast think about this.


permaBack

Funny this considering you dont mention Aaron swartz as a founder if Reddit. Hypocrites


tralfamadoran777

I’m concerned about the platform being used to restrict information and marginalize rational concerns. Subs claiming authoritative position, not so much https://www.reddit.com/r/AskEconomics/comments/wujrq8/how_is_fiat_money_anything_other_than_an_option/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf


KingNexu

Wow never new Reddit has so amazing people defending the Anonymity of the users.


Useful-Medicine-5007

Can someone please send me to the right place. I’m looking for a forum on here that will elaborate on why I got banned from a specific thread. I didn’t do anything. This man bullied me and I clapped back. I doubt he got banned. Where can I go to figure out how that happened? Or was he himself a moderator?


RebekhaG

Since you want to create open Internet how about start with stopping the censorship from happening? Censorship is rampant on here. And how about stop mod abusers on here that abuse their power.


BrexitBlaze

> First of all, what’s a public policy team? We’re the main point of contact between Reddit and governments around the world. We help them understand how Reddit works (an upvote is not a like), what the heck karma is, and how not to end up on r/AMAdisasters. We also share with them Reddit’s (and redditors’) points of view on pieces of legislation, especially when that legislation is likely to interfere with users’ ability to protect their anonymity, express their authentic selves freely, or, yes, hurt our business (we gotta pay the bills, after all). We’re also basically the only people in the office who ever wear suits. Sounds like a dream job.


cyrilio

It would help if you didn’t mark subreddits like r/drugs NSFW. We are a text only subreddit and if you think text is not suitable for work then the whole internet is NSFW. I’m going to bring this up during the mod summit and expect an answer that counters all my arguments put forward on /r/supportingredditors /u/LastBlueJay


TudeExtrude

You guys banned r/free_Xinjiang (while claiming it repurposes another sub, which one?). Can you explain to what degree Reddit complies with Tencent (and via extension) the CCP's requests for content removal or suppression?


rhaksw

> The US Copyright Office has been considering mandating pernicious measures like “standard technical measures” (otherwise known as automated content filters). We know that these filters 1) never actually function properly and 2) severely limit people’s rights to fair use and free expression. What do you make of Reddit's own imposed limits to free expression, where users' removed comments are displayed to them as if they are not removed? Is that something you felt compelled to do, or was it voluntary? For any wondering, you can try this out on [r/CantSayAnything](https://www.reddit.com/r/CantSayAnything/about/sticky). Write a comment, it will be removed, you will not be notified of the removal, and it will still appear to you as if it's not removed while you are logged in.


Lowkey_Pettyaf

Nah, y'all petty. 😂 Admins have turned Reddit into a joke, with their easily bruised feelings and discreet (or so you think) censorship. Can't wait for y'all to tank, trying to copy TikTok. 🤙


Rayquazeon

Based and fair use-pilled


Beardamus

Cringe


actual_investor4fun

I love you Reddit, but why are you telling me this shit 😴 Just a humble Reddit User---USA, USA!!!


amnon704

There was definitely a USA section in there. You might want to go back and read it carefully.


amnon704

👍


sylus704

👍


FaviFake

H👍ppy c👍ke d👍y!


sylus704

Thanks.


FaviFake

You're welcome :)


TorroldTheOutlaw

> Defending the Open Internet: Global Edition As of today, all posts and subs marked as 18+ require login to view. "18+" being very loose, a whole lot of regular posts and subs are marked as "18+" in order to avoid any chance of possible controversy. This goes directly against defending the open internet. It closes it. Until this is fixed Reddit is now no longer a viable site for viewing.


ZshiKing

Agree with this, had the same issue and this is the only mention of this change that I've found so far


TorroldTheOutlaw

Yeah, checking the changelogs and similar subs, no mention anywhere.


megafag22

We don't care just please fix the video player


Far-Impact661

Could you kindly advise if you are “managing” the Rushdie news? I literally didn’t know it happened? How is that even possible?