T O P
ct_420710

the fact that, to date, hamilton hasn't gone a season without a race win is absolutely bonkers


TheWebbFather

Or a pole position. Mental!!


Driver9211

A big reason for that is Hamilton was lucky enough, not to be in a midfield team. Infact Hamilton has never been in a team outside the Top 3.


FiveUperdan

I think a good way to judge whether this is special or not is to consider if any of Lewis' teammates failed to win a race in his last 16 seasons... And it only happened twice: 2009 2018 - Valtteri should have won Russia but was ordered to move over, so this year doesn't really count.


Fotznbenutzernaml

Yup. Also, his teammate in 2009 was Heikki. Not that he's terrible but... just saying.


LostOnTheWay2College

It’s swings and roundabouts really. Michael’s only win in ‘05 was at the USGP, and we all know what happened there. I wished we’d just stop this constant picking apart of Michael and Lewis and just appreciate how lucky most of us are to of witnessed both drivers in their prime.


FiveUperdan

Absolutely. Michael and Lewis are two of the GOATs for sure


anandpowar

As if there is a lottery to decide who gets the top machinery in F1.


zonda_civic

It is a bit of a lotterry though. When regulations came you never know which car would be the best. Jenson won the lottery with Brawn, Lewis with Mercedes, Seb with RBR, Alonso lost it big time with Mclaren Honda, which was a way bigger name in the sport than any of the names like Brawn, Mercedes, RBR for example at the time.


Fascinus_the_big

Hamilton has made the teams top 3


wwandervogell

That is insanely disrespectful to the thousands of engineers and designers who research, design, and fabricate the cars. Especially the Mercedes team who built the most dominant car of all time.


Fascinus_the_big

Albon did also race in a race winning car. At the level of f1, to make the car faster, you have to make the car more difficult to drive, thats why you see a bigger difference, usually, at the top teams, compared to the mid and lower teams


wwandervogell

If you're arguing that Lewis Hamilton improved the natural race pace of the car and raced it to its potential, then no shit, no one argues against that. If you are saying Lewis Hamilton made Mercedes go from a non-top 3 team to a top 3 team, you are high on drugs and frankly I want some.


Fascinus_the_big

I am saying that Mercedes was lucky they had a driver who could drive the car at such a high level they could win championships


wwandervogell

Hamilton wasn't the reason they won those titles. In 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019, and 2020 their second driver still finished multiple race wins ahead of the final 3rd place finisher in the WDC. You could have put in drivers worse than Rosberg or Bottas, two drivers far worse than Lewis and they still would have finished ahead of Ferrari, Red Bull, McLaren, etc. Lewis Hamilton extended the advantage of the dominant car is a better way to describe it. In years like 2017, 2018, and 2021 Mercedes did have to rely on Hamilton getting the best out of that car to win.


Fotznbenutzernaml

Calling Rosberg far worse than Lewis, and putting him equal to Bottas is mad disrespectful. Agreed on the other stuff tho


wwandervogell

He is a worse driver than Lewis, there is not much debate. And I didn't mean to say he was equal to Bottas, just that you can go below Rosberg and below even Bottas and still win comfortably in a Mercedes in those years. There were races through this era where Rosberg or Bottas would finish almost 40 seconds ahead of the 3rd place finisher. So you could find someone who over a race was 40 seconds slower than Bottas in that car and he still would have gotten second.


Fascinus_the_big

You could also put hamilton in albon redbull an he would still win championships. Nico is a fantastic driver, so is. Nothing is free in f1, every driver has to fight for every thousand.


wwandervogell

I don't anyone thinks Hamilton in 2020 would have won the title in the Red Bull. He finished 133 points ahead of Max that year in the Mercedes, the same driver he would go on to lose to the next year when the cars were more equal.


WarpedBacon

You have someone here who just doesn’t want to give Hamilton credit. I’m not a Lebron fan by any means, but I have to admit that he changed basketball.


Fascinus_the_big

In other words, you cannot make a car faster then the limits of the driver


wwandervogell

Yes, but you can make a car with a slow driver be faster than a slow car with the fastest driver. A driver is the most important, least important part of an F1 team.


Fascinus_the_big

No you cant, thats what albon proved in a redbull


Obscure_Thing

Are you serious? The only time the McLaren was not top three is arguably 2009. The rest of the years he has always been in a top car. He was just quite lucky to start his carreer in the best car.


AceMorrigan

He's always had a top car, but I disagree with him being lucky. He started with McLaren because he was an amazing talent going back a long ways. That part wasn't luck.


Obscure_Thing

Well of course he was an amazing talent, but even the most amazing talents don't start in top cars usually. The only other example I have is Villeneuve, and the first 3 years of their respective carreers are very similar. Lewis only became even better and has made a lot of better descisions later on. So he would have ended up in a topteam anyway, but just like Villeneuve lucky to enter F1 in a topteam. It could also backfire though, look at Jos Verstappen...


dfaen

He was lucky? There was no luck about it. Do you claim Messi and Ronaldo were lucky for playing in role teams? You think Lewis just randomly ended up in his seat at McLaren?


Fascinus_the_big

Alex albon, Pierre gasly also drove race winning cars, without doing well


Obscure_Thing

Button, Rosberg, Alonso, Bottas and even Kovalainen(2008) won races in all the cars Hamilton drove. So what are you saying? Only 2009 was the exception, that car was dogshit untill the late part of the season.


Fascinus_the_big

My point is, you cannot make a car go faster then the limits of the driver


Cute_Set_2680

The driver is a multiplier and the limit is always the car so yes you can (e.g. Mazepin would still be faster than Hamilton if they switched cars as long as he didn't crash). Majority of the drivers could have easily won with a Mercedes in 2014, 2015, 2016 & 2020


Fascinus_the_big

Mazepin went back to a slower but more stable set of Wings this season, Mick went for the harder and faster setup this season. If you put mazepin in a Mercedes or a redbull he wouldnt win races, because to make a car faster, you have to make it Harder to drive. Again, albon was in a fantastic car, he didnt do fantastic


Cute_Set_2680

\> was in a fantastic car Not really, it was miles behind Mercedes and hardly any better than Ferrari in 2019 as well (and based on your logic it wasn't much better than the Toro Rosso either since Gasly was almost as good in it as in the Red Bull). \>you have to make it Harder to drive That's just a random claim, yes some cars are harder to driver for some drivers compared to others (e.g Ricciardo in McLaren or Vettel in cars with an unstable rear) but making a car harder to drive does not inherently make it faster (or the other way around). Mazepin might not win the WDC, but he surely would have win at least few races throughout all of those years, no other car was even close to Mercedes.


Floxshi

And Lewis just ran into Albon on multiple occasions to rob him of potential victories. Pierre Gasly didn't got a lot of time with Red Bull and he had to compete with Max for race wins.


Extraxyz

Gasly competed with Max for race wins? What fantasy season have you been watching.. Gasly competed with midfield teams for P7 lmao


Hilazza

Lol he hit him once where albon "maybe" had a chance. In brazil, albon had no chance of winning. There was no multiple occasions. Relax there with the hyperbole.


Fascinus_the_big

Because hamilton ran into albon two times he underpreformed the races hamilton and albon didnt touch


Driver9211

Lmao


karijay

Some of those McLarens were not up to snuff my man


mcninja77

Nope he just got lucky to not be in midfield teams https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/s81nna/16_seasons_in_a_row_with_victory/htgbb6n?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share&context=3


alfamale_

Think you'll find Merc were a solid midfield team when joined


SuperPolentaman

Where Rosberg also won races


onepostalways

That one race win in 2012 (if I remember correctly) in hindsight was key


[deleted]

Benefit of being at a top team your whole career. Something that Mick, Max, Charles etc never had open to them.


lovecraftsothercat

vettels streak could have been 11 years from 09-19 if he had got one in 14 and 16 verstappen will probably have a pretty long streak, its already 6 years and even if RB drops a real stinker I think he can pull one win of the bag.


yeetyeet287

14 was a three times race winning car, it's vettels own fault he didn't get that


IdiotWithFlammables

And should've won Australia '16 and so on and so forth.


MoistRespect8498

That was strategy though, same in Canada, he also could have won Austria from p9 after a gearbox penalty but had a puncture. Oh and he would have won Spain if he was on Kimi and Maxs strategy


lovecraftsothercat

if vettel was on kimi and maxs strategy then ricciardo would have been as well and his tyre wouldnt have blown up


Captain_Omage

Yes and no. He had già chances but that year Red Bull only wonder races due to Mercedes reliability or crashes; it wasn't until Malaysia 2015 that they were beaten on pure pace.


big_cock_lach

Not really, mistakes and bad luck on Mercedes end doesn’t mean that Red Bull was a race winning car. It was far from being that, good luck for Ricciardo and over performing the car won him those races. In saying that, yes Vettel should’ve been the Red Bull driver to win those races, but it’s not a car that was capable of winning.


MoistRespect8498

He was definentely responsible for spa, he had qualified ahead of Ricciardo by a couple spots, but he had major tyre deg issues that year, probably from a lack of testing. In Hungary he was way ahead of Daniel but got unlucky with a sc which kind of gifted Daniel a win. Don't know about Canada though.


[deleted]

In Canada Vettel was in front and was faster than Dan but got stuck behind much superior Force India on the straights not having a single chance to overtake. Dan jumped him on the pit stop due to luck then he was able to pass force Indias which already had their tyres quite damaged at that point. ​ Of 3 Dans wins that year, he was truly faster than Vettel on merit only at Spa. On each of those 3 occasions Vettel qualified ahead of Dan though.


AUT_Devilos

from 2008 and onwards. Vettel won 2008 in his first full season with Toro Rosso in Monza. The fact he wasn't able to win a race in 2014 is actually pretty crazy, considering Red Bull seemed to be the second strongest car (while still being miles behind Merc) throughout most of the season and if a weekend didn't go perfect for Mercedes the Red Bulls were the first candidates to clinche a victory, which Riccirado succeeded at (3 times). 2016 is a different story though. Merc was even more untouchable and Red Bull caught up to Ferrari that season plus Red Bull now had two race drivers capable of winning races compared to their 2015 driver lineup. I think Ferrari would have needed a perfect weekend from their side plus issues at Merc and Red Bull to have a chance of winning a race that year. Kimi actually came closest to winning a race for Ferrari in Spain. The first race and win at Red Bull for Verstappen.


[deleted]

> verstappen will probably have a pretty long streak Yes but his can never be perfect


lovecraftsothercat

true. but its not really a fair comparison. hamilton is the only driver probably in f1 history to have been given a car capable of race wins every year. not a knock on him, he maximises everything out of the car and thats why hes a 7 time champ. max has also won every year hes been given a car good enough to do so. yes 2016 was lucky but without a merc dnf in spain and malaysia they win every race that season.


[deleted]

> hamilton is the only driver probably in f1 history to have been given a car capable of race wins every year. not a knock on him, he maximises everything out of the car and thats why hes a 7 time champ. Exactly. At least in recent F1 history. Hence it's a junk statistic.


Hakkinen98

He left McLaren for a Mercedes team with 1 win and 2\* poles in the 58 GP prior btw. You're acting like his talent doesn't factor into the equation that he was given a drive as a rookie at McLaren. He's the statistical GOAT but you're comparing him to drivers that just aren't on his level and wondering why they didn't get better rookie seats? I'll admit that junior programmes have surpressed the chance of rookie seasons like Lewis' though.


CardinalNYC

>You're acting like his talent doesn't factor into the equation that he was given a drive as a rookie at McLaren. Nobody is ignoring that you need talent to earn a race winning seat. The problem is because contracts exist, sometimes there just aren't any open seats in race winning teams, regardless of how good you are. The easiest example is Max Verstappen. There was no seat available at any race winning team in 2015 so even though everyone knew he was great, he had no choice but to start at a lower team.


[deleted]

> You're acting like his talent doesn't factor into the equation How so? Just pointing out the fact that this is a statistic that is *largely* influenced by the team that you start out with. Put Lewis in Charles' 2018 Sauber and tell me which race he gets a pole at and which race he gets a win at. Same for Verstappen in the 2015 Toro Rosso, Wehrlein/Ocon in the 2016 Manor or Schumacher in the 2021 Haas.


AggrOHMYGOD

Even in the best cars people aren’t consistently winning without being incredibly good. Leclerc is sitting in a Ferrari and didn’t get a win despite us seeing Alphas, Alpines, McLarens etc take wins the past couple years. Joining a top team is great, but it doesn’t give you this statistic. Hamilton could have just as easily signed to Williams then performed incredibly well and been signed the following year to a better team giving him the option to start this statistic. Also don’t forget WHY hamilton signed to McLaren. Because he was in their young driver program after transforming from a strong driver into a monster circa 2004 where he just started absolutely dominating f3/gp2 before joining


CardinalNYC

>Leclerc is sitting in a Ferrari and didn’t get a win despite us seeing Alphas, Alpines, McLarens etc take wins the past couple years. First of all... What? Leclerc did win in a Ferrari... in 2019 Second, those three examples you provided were fluke wins. The cars weren't true race winning machines. They just got lucky to be in the right place at the right time.


Blaireeeee

Benefit of being that damn good when you're young that you're given a seat at a top team in your rookie year.


[deleted]

> Benefit of being that damn good when you're young that you're given a seat at a top team in your rookie year. So if Charles or Max had a better Junior career they would have started their F1 careers at a top team?


Blaireeeee

May well have done - especially in Verstappen's case. But crucially, neither Leclerc or Verstappen were as ready for F1 as Hamilton was. Hardly shocking given their ages, nor was it a shock that Ferrari and Red Bull opted to try them out first before promoting them. Of course, Leclerc did have a great junior career, but his struggles versus Magnussen suggest Ferrari were right to keep a hold of Raikkonen for another year. Dennis and McLaren looked at a rookie Hamilton and thought 'yeah, this guy has what it takes to race a championship calibre car alongside reigning 2-time WDC Alonso and not get buried'. They were right. As with any Hamilton achievement, some will just label it the result of the car he's driven whilst completely missing *why* he was driving said car in the first place.


hpstg

How's Mick in that sentence lol. Don't want to jinx the kid, but he hasn't shown anything special, honestly, unlike people who haven't even made it to F1 yet.


BuckN56

Mick beat Mazepin by huge margins 95% of the races so at least we know that he was throwing that POS Haas around. He hasn't shown anything special but he does have the potential.


feedseed664

He wasn't tho, he left McLaren for a reason


VinhoVerde21

2009 and 2013 were years where he was driving very midfield level cars, and he still kept the streak going. 2009 especially, he finished 5th with two wins, whilst his teammate finished in 12th, with no race finish higher than 4th.


big_cock_lach

This narrative is over done, and new fans repeat it thinking the gap between the front and midfield has always been as large as it is now. After Germany, the 2009 McLaren was the 3rd or arguably 2nd fastest and had clearly broken out of the midfield. Same with 2013, at the start of the season it gave Red Bull a bit of headache, it was also never a midfield car being the 2nd best for the whole season. Don’t get me wrong, it‘s still a great achievement by Hamilton and the way he won those races was spectacular, dominating in a car that was barely capable of race wins. However, people need to stop playing these cars as complete dogs that are barely even capable of points, let alone podiums and wins.


[deleted]

[удалено]


Fat_Sow

Today I learned finishing 2nd in the WCC is a midfield car. Even the McLaren in 2009 ended up 3rd in the WCC. You know in 2009 McLaren and Ferrari were the first to try KERS and it made their car very heavy? They also missed the double diffuser loophole, they and Red Bull were the strongest cars in the 2nd half of the year. How is a factory Mercedes team, defending WDC champions, a midfielder?


VinhoVerde21

>Today I learned finishing 2nd in the WCC is a midfield car. Mercedes just barely clinched the 2nd place in the constructors, mostly due to Massa underperforming. Not to mention, the Mercedes was mighty quick in quali, but ate through its tyres, which made it a pretty bad car for sunday. With RB that far ahead of everyone (remember that Vettel won 13 races out of 19 that year, 9 of those in a row), everyone else might as well have been midfield. >Even the McLaren in 2009 ended up 3rd in the WCC. Ferrari finished 3rd in the constructors in 2021, why didn't Leclerc win any races then? Same with Norris in 2020. McLaren were lower midfield in the first half of 2009, and gradually climbed up to 2nd/3rd best car by the end, with RB clear in 1st by then. That's midfeld, not championship contender. Again, his teammate finished 12th and never even managed a podium.


HUHIs_AUTOATTACK

>mostly due to Massa underperforming Ah yes, the usual "Massa underperformed/sucked" excuse instead of admitting that Ferrari just didn't build a top 3 car. Also, you're comparing the 2020 and 2021 seasons when drivers need the stars to align in order to win a single race to seasons like 2009 or even 2013 when mechanical failures from the top teams weren't uncommon and drivers could compensate more for a car's lack of speed.


Fat_Sow

Red Bull were in a league of their own, Mercedes won 3 races in total in 2013 and were best of the rest. Calling them "midfield" is disingenuous, I actually find it unbelievable that you are doubling down. And as for the other one, Leclerc had 2 poles and if he didn't bin it in Monaco probably would have won a race. In the 2nd half of 2009, that McLaren was getting poles and competing at the front. His teammate was so good that year, that he lost his seat. You and I are just going to have to disagree on what "midfield" means. I can't have a discussion with someone who doesn't understand the sport and has a huge bias.


Nasga2k7

For the same reason it was never open to you or any of us. Not good enough.


[deleted]

> For the same reason it was never open to you or any of us. Not good enough. Who was the last driver who was good enough that they got to start their career in a car that was capable of a race win?


RoboticChicken

If you don't count the 8 races he did in 2007, Vettel won a race in his first full season.


Fat_Sow

But he won a race before the parent team even did, it's a bit of an outlier because it's not as if his car was competing with the Ferrari and McLaren all season. It was his talent, the wet conditions and having a Ferrari engine that got the win in Monza.


[deleted]

So more than a decade ago. Seb, Pierre and Esteban are the few drivers who've won a race in a midfield car.


krishal_743

>So more than a decade ago. just like hamilton no ?


pHrankee1

This is the truth. Could Hamilton taken a pole or win in an Aston Martin? No way.


krishal_743

has Lewis performed in a way that would see him dropped by merc and ship him off to aston ? No way.


[deleted]

[удалено]


krishal_743

That’s his fault tho ? The 2007 mclaren was a championship contending car , but alonso lost to a rookie a Hamilton The Ferrari move looked promising but no one knew how much of a shitbox the 2012 car would be


pHrankee1

We all know that underperforming in a car way ahead of the field will still get you podiums...ask Bottas. He has underperformed the shit out of tht OP Merc and has managed to be there 5 seasons and help win the WCC.


krishal_743

bottas was clearly a no.2 driver ? unless you think bottas and vettel are of similar caliber that argument doesn't work..


colour_from_space

IDK why this is downvoted. It's a fact, and it's not being painted in a negative way. It's an awesome achievement by Hamilton, no doubt there. But other F1 greats don't have this achievement simply because they started in midfield or backmarker teams.


[deleted]

> It's an awesome achievement by Hamilton, no doubt there. But other F1 greats don't have this achievement simply because they started in midfield or backmarker teams. Exactly. Charles and Max both had brilliant junior careers yet never had a chance as far as this statistic is concerned. Is it even possible to start your F1 career at a top team (ie with a car capable of winning on merit) in the current Era? Even with a perfect junior career? Who was the last driver to start their career in a car that was capable of a race win?


big_cock_lach

Albon’s the only other driver I can think of, but that was only half a year. In saying that, Albon is nowhere near the level of other drivers to be able to make good on that opportunity sadly, at least not at the moment.


[deleted]

[удалено]


[deleted]

> Seriously. > > Hamilton is an all time great, yes, but it is really hard not to see stats like these as basically an attempt to pad the guy's resume - as if he needed it. Well said. > The fact of the matter is, in a given season it's not guaranteed that there's an open seat in a race winning team - even if there is a driver good enough to earn that seat. And anyway, noone starts their career at a top team anymore - even after a perfect junior career.


[deleted]

[удалено]


CVNTFACE

Max spent 2015 and first few races of 2016 in Torro Rosso. TR is a top team to you? Yes the 2009 mclaren sucked in the 1st half but was not a midfield car by the 2nd half. I love LH, but why are you people so disingenuous? Or is it pure ignorance?


f1_spelt_as_bot

To**r**o Rosso


Historical-Shock

He started alpha tauri..


[deleted]

> max has always been in top teams Remind me again since when was Toro Rosso a top team? They certainly didn't have a race winning car when Max was there.


Moreau34

he was always in great cars, he never had to struggle with a midfield team so its not bonkers just luck


warpbeast

Certainly not due to the fact that he is probably one of the best driver of the field right ?


Andigaming

Of course but even elite level talents prior to joining F1 do not get put straight into a championship capable car from race 1.


xHotwave

He is but you need the luck to have the car as well. You cannot deny that.


warpbeast

Yeah but commenter above only testified to the car's abilities. We saw where Merc and RB were and where Bottas and Perez were last season compared to their teammates and even other drivers of other teams.


krishal_743

no you just need to be good to find yourself in a good car


warpbeast

Well Alonso would partly disagree with that.


mdlt97

Fernando has himself to blame for some of that


warpbeast

Put the moves back into context and they don't look like bad moves really, with hindsight we can say they're bad but back then, not so much.


Fruit-Status

The only close contender is Verstappen. However, he got his first pole in 2019. The RB was not a championship-winning car maybe, but it was a winning car. So passing it off as luck is just lazy, it is easy to be dismissive without providing facts. I think Verstappen can hold this streak from 2019 onwards though :)


Moreau34

you know there were more drivers than ham and ver in the past?


KrainerWurst

Yeah, he jumped ship just at the right moment. Staying a season longer and that sinking Mclaren ship might have take him with them.


bassyourface

That’s his craziest stat, in my opinion. I’d like to know his teammates best finishing position as well, especially in the early years


[deleted]

Hamilton equalled WDC x7 in 2020 not 2021.


[deleted]

[удалено]


7he5haman

Native English speaker - I have not once heard that second meaning in the context of sporting achievements


[deleted]

[удалено]


7he5haman

No lol. It’s not how the term is used in English in this sort of context. Show me an example of a sport news site using it, and I’ll concede the point.


GeniiGames

He’s wrong but I suggest in future you don’t waste your time arguing with redditors. The sentence is poorly constructed as by Willing_Breadfruits definition it does not work for 2021. Both of his definitions would need to state when it occurred. Not the year after


andyg3333

This is what the writer meant, yes.


Remy-today

Yeah what guy says. Frustrating to see these easily avoidable mistakes.


Lobsterzilla

You really need to up your frustration threshold if shit like this makes the list.


Remy-today

No I don’t. Not tolerating mediocrity is a good thing in many situations. Frustration is a great driver of change in the world.


Lobsterzilla

Calling a typo “mediocrity” is why people hate society


CardinalNYC

>You really need to up your frustration threshold if shit like this makes the list. You're not looking much better trying to police what people should be frustrated by.


Lobsterzilla

That’s certainly a take.


raya__85

Being annoyed at things being incorrect is like an average emotion people feel? It doesn’t seem that extreme to be frustrated, policing people’s tolerance is an odd take.


eannasheridan

This record will probably stand forever. Especially if he stays on and makes it 17 or 18. Max would have to race to 2030 with a win every season to match this.


Smart_Kangaroo_4188

Amazing result. Not sure if will be equaled in future.


andyg3333

I'm not sure either, most of the current grid won't be in Formula 1 in 16 years, including the new guys.


[deleted]

[удалено]


CardinalNYC

The main reason it's unlikely to be broken is the massive amount of luck that factors into your team providing you a race winning car every single season you're in the sport. (Inb4 "Hamilton earned his seat" yes I know he did, but in many years, race winning seats simply *are not open* even if someone was good enough to earn them, and thus it is out of the control of many drivers to have this record even if they're good enough)


raya__85

I know what you mean by saying luck your team builds a good engine, as in all constructors aim for that and a driver picking the right team is luck for lack of better words but also it’s literally never luck the constructor delivers an amazing car. Merc built a dominant beast mode car by design. They are really good at what they do


CardinalNYC

>it’s literally never luck the constructor delivers an amazing car. I'm talking about luck *for the driver.* We all know that the constructors build the car and that if they build a good one, they deserve credit. Nobody said otherwise.


raya__85

Yes and no, good drivers stick with good cars. Yes it was great luck Lewis switched to Mercedes at the start of their dominant era but also he wouldn’t still be there unless he was the best driver. If Lewis couldn’t deliver they would have recruited max years ago


[deleted]

[удалено]


CardinalNYC

>Yes and no, good drivers stick with good cars. There aren't always seats available in good cars in a given year, though. Everyone knew Max was top team material before he even got to F1 but there simply wasn't an open seat in a top team in 2015, so he basically can't match this record due to no fault of his own.


f1_spelt_as_bot

Räi**kk**ö**n**en


Potassium_Patitucci

You need to have a race winning car for 16 seasons in a row - from start of your career. Don’t see that happening ever.


Fascinus_the_big

By that logic, why didnt alex albon do well at redbull? Maybe the driver has something to do about it


BerndDasBrot4Ever

Of course both driver skill and the car play a role. If a driver isn't doing that well, putting him in a great car can only do so much. And an absolute top-driver might be able to do better in a shit car than its usual drivers, but probably wouldn't be able to perform miracles either.


Fascinus_the_big

Agree, i still think driving good cars at that limit makes him deserve this record, Even if he couldnt do it in a haas


BerndDasBrot4Ever

He absolutely does deserve it!


[deleted]

[удалено]


Fascinus_the_big

Alonso peeked a while ago, he is still good, but he wouldnt do equally well in this statistic because he fell of a bit from his prime, hamilton hasnt. The fact that hamilton is so consitantly good is what makes him good at this statistic


AYASOFAYA

Their logic isn’t that the car did all the work. The logic was that it requires BOTH an amazing car and an amazing driver for 16 years. Many amazing drivers don’t get an amazing car and vice versa, especially not for 16 years.


Fascinus_the_big

It has more to do with staying at the top of your skill level for a long time, hamilton hasnt peeked because he is still so consistantly good


ArcticBiologist

It was said that Schumi's records would never be broken, so I wouldn't bet against it.


helderdude

Assuming he'll be in the sport for another 12+ years, max has a good, pretty realistic shot at it. he currently has a streak going of 6 years, and he was 4 (or 5 I'm not sure) years younger then Hamilton when his started.


VinhoVerde21

Yeah, Verstappen is the only on on the grid with a reasonable shot at equalling or beating this record. The increased number of races per season will also help him quite a bit.


Bezulba

most likely not. There can be drivers that are equal or better in skill. But to have the best car on the grid for such a long time is very, very rare.


JackNapier2093

Lewis is the only driver to win a race in every season he's competed too. Also he's had a minimum of 1 race win, 5 podiums and 1 pole position each season. His lowest finish in the WDC is 5th. In 2021 there were only 5 races he wasn't on the podium and if he matches that in 2022 he'll be on 200 podiums!


latestapex

16 seasons and a movie.


DrSpacepants

Max and Lewis in moooorning.


Dasun888

16 seasons with a victory in f1 so since 2006?


Dasun888

Never mind just googled it they are right


big_cock_lach

He’s done 15 seasons though? ‘07 (1), ‘08 (2), ‘09 (3), ‘10 (4), ‘11 (5), ‘12 (6), ‘13 (7), ‘14 (8), ‘15 (9), ‘16 (10), ‘17 (11), ‘18 (12), ‘19 (13), ‘20 (14), ‘21 (15). He needs to win a race this year for that to be true. If they’re counting his GP2 season, then they go further back then 2006 so it’s not that either.


andyg3333

The article states that he needs one win this season for the 16 season record.


big_cock_lach

Ahh my bad, yeah I misread it. I thought it was saying he achieved that record this year.


KittensOnASegway

Michelin coming with the save to allow Schumacher to make that record.


big_cock_lach

Hamilton hasn’t even been in F1 for 16 seasons and he matched that record in 2020. If he wins this year, he’ll have that record.


_HanTyumi

yes that is literally what the image posted says


big_cock_lach

Yeah I misread it, the title and cropping is a bit misleading though.


KimiWithoutTheDrink

What do you mean 2021? Max won the WDC in 2021, Lewis won his 7th in 2020 to match Michael.


sd_manu

Hamilton won his first races in a McLaren that was able to win the title and only won in a McLaren and in a Mercedes. Schumacher won in a Benetton in the first two full seasons that was not a championship winning car. Also in shitbox Ferraris like 1996 in a team that has won two GP in the 5 years before. Also Schumacher won from 1992 to 2006 and in 2007 was not driving anymore. So what is the point of this record. xD


jogaboi19

I have a horrible suspicious it ends in 2022. Hope I’m wrong tho, it’s easily my favorite Hamilton record.


HH_31_J

The Great Hamilton 🐐


PussayDESTROYAAA_420

Only driver to have a race winning car 15 seasons in a row including as a rookie, obscene luck.


andyg3333

All luck and no skill?


PussayDESTROYAAA_420

For the most part, he's had some races where he drove well.


krishal_743

lol i'd say its skill to debut alongside a 2x reigning wdc alonso and win a race against him and kimi let alone beat alonso and lose out to a wdc by a single point


mouky92

Put another way, let’s hypothetically imagine Juri Vips gets the call up to F1 next season and is placed alongside Max in the RB senior team. Let’s then imagine he proceeds to beat Max - the reigning World Champ - on count back and comes within a hair of being the first rookie to win the Drivers Title on debut. That’s what Lewis did to Fernando. I like contextualizing Lewis’ rookie season within a modern setting because I think it helps illuminate the talent he is to those who don’t want to believe what their eyes are already showing them.


Fl0wwy

as much as he had a race winning car, he still delivered 🤷‍♂️.


Fascinus_the_big

Alex albon was in a race winning car, didnt matter much did it?


PussayDESTROYAAA_420

Albon being meh is irrelevant, strange thing to say.


Fascinus_the_big

He was in a great car tho, kinda proves the driver is the biggest factor in f1


PussayDESTROYAAA_420

So Hamilton would win in a Haas gotcha.


Fascinus_the_big

Hamilton would win in albons car is what im saying


PussayDESTROYAAA_420

Probably not, the only races that car won were Max masterclasses when it wasn't fastest.


Fascinus_the_big

The level hamilton drives is the reason he could win multiple championships, like he has, even in albons car


TheWebbFather

Hamilton would've won Turkey in Albon's car. The fact he won in a slower one is proof of that


PussayDESTROYAAA_420

You're assuming it's slower because Bottas can't drive in the rain.


TheWebbFather

I'm assuming it's slower because Albon qualified over 2 seconds ahead of Hamilton and was 14 seconds ahead after the first lot of pit stops


pscherey

Whatever makes you sleep at night