T O P
drsfmd

I can't directly answer your post, but in its early years, that special was chopped up a couple of different ways, with scenes added, scenes deleted, and edited for running time. That may account for why people have different memories about the plot and contents... http://www.tvparty.com/xmasrudolph.html


CurtTheGamer97

Yeah, I've been wondering if maybe there was a version that had the sore tooth at one point. We know for certain that the ending credits were completely re-filmed one year after the special premiered, and we also know that it's gone back and forth as to whether Rudolph and the elf sing "Misfits" or "Fame and Fortune" (and sometimes even the Fame and Fortune visuals with the Misfits audio, which looks awkward). So it's not impossible that a version where the Bumble had a sore tooth also existed at some point.


Hannah22595

I thought the elf took out all of his teeth so he couldn't like...eat people anymore and bumbles rubbed his jaw cos he didn't have his teeth anymore


probablynotanarwhal

I remember this!!!!


CurtTheGamer97

That's actually what happened in the special.


spaztichyld

I remember him rubbing his jaw. That's all I remember


SixbyFire

I 100% remember it like your post, even to the point of the elf holding up the bad tooth.


RandomArtistBlock

We watch it every year and I only remember the teeth being taken out as a weird punishment for the abominable snowman for being a bad guy.


noaffects

Watched it every year since I was a kid and remember this also.


OkayButWhyThis

Was it possibly in another Rudolph movie? As a kid I remember watching the Isle of Misfit Toys and I remember the dentist elf was a main character, and I think he did mention a toothache but it’s been easily 20 years since I’ve seen it so I may be misremembering.


Dwitt01

I remember that too. It was the King


SkoalMan44444

This ME has been out for years. And yes, I remember him pulling the tooth. Thought the Abominable Snowman had cornered the elf on a mountain ledge of sorts, where the elf had nowhere to go. He used a pair of metal pliers from his old job at the workshop to pull the tooth as the Abominable Snowman charged him. Once the tooth was out, the monster was no longer mean and they became friends. Might have few details wrong, but that's more or less what I remember.


Bloodmilk8080

Yaasss!!! His sore tooth was the REASON HE WAS SO MEAN...very specifically remember THAT...and that's why it was so important hermie was a dentist...like it was VALIDATION for him wanting to be one!!!


ittleoff

https://rudolphtherednosedreindeer.fandom.com/wiki/Bumble


Asmodiar_

https://youtu.be/Ui5W6AStk1s


ssjlayne

Your point?


Asmodiar_

This is the scene you remember about bumbles and teeth. 🤷


ssjlayne

Yes, its the scene, but not what i remember. In the scene i remember its explained that he has a toothache. In the actual scene (aka the one you linked) there's no mention of said toothache.


DRbrtsn60

Ok, this is creepy. I strongly remember that. We used to watch it every year. Now there’s no tooth pull?


Olaffubbuffalo

Check out this article I found, written by a dentist about 5 years ago, describing this exact thing!! https://www.limaohio.com/uncategorized/229733/the-abominable-tooth-ache "I was terrified of the Abominable Snowman. After all, this was the polar version of Bigfoot. He was huge. He was mean. He was terrible. Or was he just misunderstood? As I watched Rudolph this year, it dawned on me that instead of a show about misfit reindeer, elves and toys, this holiday classic was actually a PSA for improved dental hygiene. When all was said and done, the Abominable Snowman really just suffered from a tooth ache. With the extraction of just a few affected or infected teeth, his entire demeanor changed for the better. He was pleasant, friendly and helpful. Nothing like his grumpy self that we came to know and fear." Come on this scene has to exist!!


SkoalMan44444

Nice find.


Olaffubbuffalo

Also found a forum post from 2011 where people are talking about how this scene no longer exists ... https://community.babycenter.com/post/a30737949/rudolph_abominable_snowman_help


TheUglydollKing

If this seriously didn't happen then I'm really surprised because this part is like the only part I actually remember about the movie


jvp180

> She even remembers the elf holding up the bad tooth after pulling it, and both of us remember it being the reason the monster was even a monster anyway! You're confusing the false memory with the concept of the lion's paw fable. Where an angry lion is about to kill a man, but the man sees that the lion has a thorn in its paw, so he removes it, making the lion calm and tame. It's also reasonable to assume that anyone would get a tooth removed due to a tooth ache. The human brain is wired to recognize patterns, so if there are gaps in a story, we tend to make it up ourselves to make it cohesive and complete. Eventually, we remember our "edit" as the real thing.


ssjlayne

Both statements are probably the reason for the false memory. Thank you!


ittleoff

While reasonable I did find this which is how I recall it: https://rudolphtherednosedreindeer.fandom.com/wiki/Bumble


Surprisebutton

No. Things have changed. The FotL logo had a god dam cornucopia. The lion lay down with a lamb. Don’t fall for the hand waving. Or do. It’s probably better than being called crazy.


Chimpbot

In most cases, the simplest solution is likely the correct one. So, we can either assume someone or something is "changing things" - specifically, completely innocuous and inconsequential things - or that the notoriously fallible human memory is, in fact, extremely fallible.


jvp180

Things didn't change lol. A pile of fruit/vegetables is commonly associated with a cornucopia or straw basket. There's imagery of it all over, especially around holidays like Thanksgiving and when we were in school learning about the Pilgrims. So when we saw the pile of fruit on the FotL logo, our brains subconsciously want to put a basket or cornucopia behind it. The original verse is "The wolf will live with the lamb, the leopard will lie down with the goat, the calf and the lion and the yearling together; and a little child will lead them." As you can clearly see, the verse mentions both a lion and a lamb, but we often shorten the verse and pair the two together because of the alliteration. The imagery of the two also work better in artwork, as the lion represents the ultimate predator whereas wolves are often used to represent deceit/trickery like in the popular expression "a wolf in sheep's clothing" which also came from the Bible. As I said, the human brain is wired to recognize patterns. Alliteration is a type of pattern that triggers a memory response, that's why so many comic book characters have alliterative names like Clark Kent, Lois Lane, Peter Parker, Reed Richards, Sue Storm, etc. The best answer is usually the simplest. You are simply remembering things incorrectly. But if you'd rather believe you are from another dimension or timeline where some things are spelled slightly differently and logos have minor details changed, then be my guest. For some people, admitting they are wrong is *very* hard to do.


throwaway998i

Nah, your argument completely neglects to factor in the innumerable testimonials and anchor memories which constitute the entire basis of the claims here. This isn't about pride or pattern recognition... both of which are counterindicated by the aforementioned testimonials. You're essentially drawing conclusions based on an a priori belief that none of the claims are even possible... so the arguments you're making are you just attempting to validate what you think is true while lol'ing at any other possibility. It's a form of subjective bias that's usually part and parcel with motivated skepticism.


jvp180

That was a bit of a word salad, wasn't it? "testimonials and anchor memories" aren't based on fact. Memories are fallible. That is fact. That is why the typical person cannot recite the words from a movie or page from a book word for word, even after just seeing/reading it. Instead, we reconstruct the gist of the subject in words and phrases we understand in order to recollect and explain it to someone else. Same thing happens with memories from years ago. We don't intuitively remember the small details, but we subconsciously take in everything. So when we go and recount something, we remember the bigger things, but when we try to remember details, we usually pull the details from the subconscious to fill the gaps. I make my arguments based on logic and science, not feelings and unreliable memories. Like I said before, if you'd rather believe you are from an alternative universe and have magically stumbled into this one, then go for it.


throwaway998i

> That is why the typical person cannot recite the words from a movie or page from a book word for word, even after just seeing/reading it. So which ME do you think you're describing here? Last I checked, corporate branding (like with logos, company names, taglines, slogans, spokespeople, mascots etc) is designed to imprint on the consumer's memory. They do that via repeat sustained exposure over long duration through a variety of mediums. They spend millions of dollars orchestrating sophisticated marketing campaigns that are rooted in established psychology. ^^^^^ > I make my arguments based on logic and science, not feelings and unreliable memories. Exactly. You're making a purely academic argument that ignores entire sets of qualitative data, simply because they're not relevant to you. That's the essence of selective bias.


jvp180

>Last I checked, corporate branding (like with logos, company names, taglines, slogans, spokespeople, mascots etc) is designed to imprint on the consumer's memory. They do that via repeat sustained exposure over long duration through a variety of mediums. They spend millions of dollars orchestrating sophisticated marketing campaigns that are rooted in established psychology. So you think it makes sense for a company to spend millions of dollars on a logo and brand name only for them to change it/alter it? In fact, I'd argue that it makes sense for a company to intentionally design something that doesn't sit well with a person subconsciously so that the person thinks about it, thus making a strong connection with the brand. Look into subliminal marketing. There are only three possible explanations for MEs * Alternate universes/timeline changes * Conspiracy where companies intentionally change/alter media and scrub all evidence of previous versions * People have unreliable memories With the latter, people's unreliable memories are simply not facts. Present me with actual evidence that supports the other two claims, that aren't "testimonials" from people sharing their memories. That's right, you cant. It boggles my mind that there are people who cannot admit they could be remembering things incorrectly. I spent maybe 10 years of my life thinking that Chick-fil-A was spelled Chic-fil-A. When I read about it on Reddit back in 2018, I was a little shocked, but I adapted and moved on with my life. We all have moments like that, it's called being a fallible human being. Go check out the r/tipofmytongue subreddit. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of examples of people trying to track down media they saw/heard years ago and they try to recollect it as best as they can. Almost every time, the actual media is almost nothing like how the poster remembers. Most of the time, they laugh about it and are happy to find the source of their memories. So if these people can accept reality, why can't you?


throwaway998i

> So you think it makes sense for a company to spend millions of dollars on a logo and brand name only for them to change it/alter it? Of course not. And yet that's exactly what a Nissin did with Cup O' Noodles. But obviously we're not discussing documented changes in this context, and scrubbing something from existence isn't remotely feasible for most of the prominent ME's because we have archived newsprint and old commercials, etc. > I'd argue that it makes sense for a company to intentionally design something that doesn't sit well with a person subconsciously so that the person thinks about it, thus making a strong connection with the brand.  Again, I'm not sure what relevance this point has. Yes, branding is very clever and targeted. > people's unreliable memories are simply not facts. Well since you're rejecting the whole category out of hand, you're not in any position to judge reliability of memory. In the case of Haas, people were/are correctly remembering actual mislabeled products. There's plenty of documented evidence that *sprung from those "unreliable" testimonials*. Turned out they were indeed reliable AND factual. Which you, as a science minded person, would've overlooked by ignoring a large part of the dialectic in favor of selective bias. You also won't ever notice patterns in the data or mathematically improbable overlaps between data sets. Being logical and scientific doesn't serve you if you're not willing to collect and parse data without judgement. > It boggles my mind that there are people who cannot admit they could be remembering things incorrectly.  Since you don't seem to grasp the nuance of this phenomenon, this doesn't really surprise me. But guess what? Your personal level of incredulity is subjective and immaterial. You choose to remain uninformed in this regard *because you're ignoring the testimonials.* > So if these people can accept reality, why can't you? I can accept reality. But the reality I'm accepting isn't what either of us were originally taught. My unique lived experience compelled me to revise my paradigm. Your Chic-fil-A memory evidently didn't rise to that level. Which is a shame since it leaves you clinging to an obsolete paradigm yourself.


Reddit-Book-Bot

Beep. Boop. I'm a robot. Here's a copy of ###[The Bible](https://snewd.com/ebooks/the-king-james-bible/) Was I a good bot? | [info](https://www.reddit.com/user/Reddit-Book-Bot/) | [More Books](https://old.reddit.com/user/Reddit-Book-Bot/comments/i15x1d/full_list_of_books_and_commands/)


pomegranate7777

Good bot.


Terminat3r42

Yeah I believe both of those things. Lion def lay with the lamb lol no idea how that even happened


derf_vader

I think this is the best description of how an ME works I've ever read


olenpeikko

Yeah pretty sure it's just assumed his tooth was aching.


myke113

He held the tooth up with the tool he used to extract it. Definitely wasn't a lion's paw.


smilingpurpletree

How patronizing and condescending for you to assume that her and everyone else is confusing the Lions paw fable, with the abominable snowman having his tooth removed with a pair of pliers and Rudolph. Ones a lion in the desert with a thorn in his Paw, and it’s not even a movie it’s a book, the other is a snowman with a toothache at the north pole. but you just take it as fact that those two things are being confused. Well they are both in pain, I will give you that, you got that to your theory lol. How incredibly patronizing and condescending. Who are you to say? You have no idea just like anyone else. But you Unequivocally smugly tell her and anyone else who has experience this what they are Actually remembering. Oh really. Well thanks genius.


jvp180

And yet the original poster agreed with me and thanked me for my input. The "incredibly smug and condescending" person here is you. Go back to using your sock account.


smilingpurpletree

You stated your bullshit theory as fact. you have absolutely no evidence whatsoever behind it. But yet you state it as fact. OP is new to the Mandela effect, you condescendingly told her what it was she was “actually” remembering, as if you fucking knew, and she took it that way. Not knowing you have no idea what the fuck you’re talking about. And I could care less if you have a couple upvotes, this sub is full of debunkers and trolls. If the Mandela effect is ridiculous to you, what are you doing on this sub? Have you nothing better to do? I mean, I don’t go around to say, unicorns subs, condescendingly telling them why their beliefs are false. Get a life


jvp180

Maybe you should change your username to angrypurpletree LOL. It bothers you being confronted with a logical explanation, doesn't it? > What are you doing on this sub? Have you nothing better to do? You're the one responding to a week-old comment. I'm simply replying to you.


smilingpurpletree

[ME Vet](https://www.limaohio.com/uncategorized/229733/the-abominable-tooth-ache) I guess this guy, a veterinarian who performs tooth extractions on animals, which couldn’t be more relevant to what we’re talking about, is confusing it with the Lions Paw too. Even though it’s his profession! he’s publishing this online for all to see, even though he literally extracts teeth from animals, he’s just confused. He just got it confused with the lion I guess. lol wow you are such a genius figuring this out, all of us are just remembering the lion. /s


jvp180

The notion of a toothache being the root of the snowman's anger is literally the same concept as the Lion's paw fable. Yes, even a licensed professional is misremembering the movie. We're all prone to fallibility... some more than others ;). The elf removes the monster's teeth to neuter it and prevent it from biting them. It was never about removing the source of it's "pain". > you are such a genius figuring this out, all of us are just remembering the lion. And you're most welcome. But I wouldn't call myself a genius. I'm flattered! I'm just someone using logic and reasoning. :)


smilingpurpletree

Ok, off to the unicorn sub, Need something to fill my time. I got it figured out, they’re just getting it confused with horses. I will educate and teach them, I know best. lol


Equinoqs

As a kid, the shot of the elf standing under the Snowman's legs and holding up the tooth always made me think the elf pulled the tooth out of the Snowman's butt somehow. It confused me for years.


NV-Nautilus

It was definitely there at some point… I used to have it on vhs and would watch it even in the regular seasons, the toothache was the reason why the snowman was abominable! The elf helped him and he was fine after that.


TRX_gar

wait wait wait doesn’t this scene happen but with the lion from the island of misfit toys instead of the abominable snowman???


laurarosemarie

I just looked up the movie on YouTube and yes it does, but he never pulls the tooth out. The lion comes over and complains, they set him up in the dentist chair, Hermey takes a look inside his mouth, finds the painful tooth and then they cut to a new scene.


ssjlayne

Idk can't find a clip of it, maybe another mandela effect?


missmyxlplyx

I remember the bumble having a tooth ache and Herbie removing his teeth. Mind blown.


GabiDaemon

Yes this is a common one. The version that is true now doesn’t make any sense.


K-teki

How does the current version not make sense? The dentist elf removes the monsters teeth so it can’t bite them. Maybe not 100% realistic - the monster was still huge and strong - but it is a kids movie.


GabiDaemon

It doesn’t make sense because it’s extremely cruel and what lesson does it teach kids? It also doesn’t make sense that he would be happy without teeth anyway. The ME version is that he was bad because he was in pain from toothache so when they helped him by being kind and removing the bad tooth, he became friendly. The lesson is to be kind.


K-teki

>It doesn’t make sense because it’s extremely cruel and what lesson does it teach kids? Not every kids show is to teach lessons, and some cartoons include cruel elements. >It also doesn’t make sense that he would be happy without teeth anyway. He's not. The scene has him coming in, showing his toothless mouth, and then getting chased off a cliff. >The ME version is that he was bad because he was in pain from toothache so when they helped him by being kind and removing the bad tooth, he became friendly. The lesson there isn't "be kind" it's "notice when someone is being a bitch because there's something wrong with them".


jvp180

> The lesson there isn't "be kind" it's "notice when someone is being a bitch because there's something wrong with them". This is literally the fable of the Lion's Paw. [You're mixing the two up](https://old.reddit.com/r/MandelaEffect/comments/procwc/i_just_recently_discovered_a_rudolph_the_red/hdkb64s/)


K-teki

I'm not mixing it up because I'm not the one remembering it. I'm saying that if you believe that the snowman was calmed by having his teeth removed, then the lesson of that version is not "be kind". He was 100% going to hurt them, it wasn't a case of "if we just listened we would know he was trying to get help".


Princessleiasperiod

No no it was Yukon Cornelius who takes out the abominable snowman teeth


Ordinary_Evidence_33

Yeah, I remember that too. I think the elf did pull out a tooth for someone, but I think it was like the boss elf or something.


bitter-funny

I remember this!! Without a doubt!


RUIN_NATION_

I found out about this one years ago freaks me out. just like the star wars one Luke I am your father was never said. I watched those movies thousands of times worn out vcr tapes i know he said it. tho it could be dismissed with the special editions. tho on the other hand Rudolph doesnt have special edition dvd's


Chimpbot

> i know he said it "Luke, I am your father" simply doesn't work within the context of the conversation.


Terminat3r42

“No, Luke, I am your father” would make the most sense, and could also be why people remember it “Luke, I am your father”


Chimpbot

>“No, Luke, I am your father” would make the most sense No, it simply would not, given the context of the [conversation](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lOT2p_FCvA). ​ Vader: Luke, you do not yet realize your importance. You have only begun to discover your power. Join me, and I will complete your training. With our combined strength, we can end this destructive conflict and bring order to the galaxy. Luke: I'll never join you! Vader: If you only knew the power of the Dark Side. Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father. Luke: He told me enough. He told me *you* killed him. Vader: No. *I* am your father. ​ Vader refers to Luke by name earlier in the exchange; repeating his name at that point wouldn't make sense because that's not really how people talk. Additionally, he was saying "No" to Luke's statement, "He told me you killed him (my father)". "No. I am your father" is the only version that actually makes sense within the conversation. >and could also be why people remember it “Luke, I am your father” People remember it this way because it's the easiest way to reference the scene without any context and have it make sense. It's the way it has been referenced for decades, and subsequently became better known than the *actual* line.


DarkCeldori

It is also recorded like that in some old star wars darth vader toys i think.


Chimpbot

That's fantastic. It still makes it easier to reference, and didn't use dialog recorded by James Earl Jones.


DarkCeldori

James Earl Jones also repeats it with luke in interviews i think.


Chimpbot

Sure. Actors notoriously don't remember lines after recording, though. Ian McDiarmid demonstrated this at a Celebration, where he was completely unable to identify or quote famous Palpatine lines.


DarkCeldori

There are mandelas with stronger residue like the thinker with dozens of people photographed doing the pose wrong right in front of the statue they are imitating.


Chimpbot

Sure. Some of them are just incorrect out of the gate.


sbm_md

I remember the tooth being pulled..but it's fading. Like it didn't want me to remember it. Wtf is going on


DrShortPenis

*my mom and I


Magick22

I remember this too!! Weird how It doesn't exist or even mentioned at least twice in the movie.


bulbcheck

He pulled the teeth when he was knocked out so he wouldn't eat anyone. When he woke up, he was nice. Rudolf asked what happened to him, and hermie said that he must have had a bad tooth making him mean. I too remember this.


smilingpurpletree

Definitely remember his tooth ache being a major part of the movie at the end, and them taking it out with pliers. Someone mentioned that maybe that scene was edited or deleted, why would they remove it when it was an integral part of the plan?


THZombie2

I guess im a native of this timeline because i've seen that movie atleast 20 times when i was a kid and I dont remember that


SadFaceNoSpace

Dentist elf? This almost sounds like an episode of billy & mandy.