IWTL how to stop biting my finger nails.
By - AustinAmighty
Thank you for your contribution to /r/IWantToLearn.
If you think this post breaks our policies, please report it and our staff team will review it as soon as possible.
Also, check out our sister sub /r/IWantToTeach and [our Discord server](https://discord.gg/PvnVkHUJSQ)!
*I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please [contact the moderators of this subreddit](/message/compose/?to=/r/IWantToLearn) if you have any questions or concerns.*
Practice mindfulness in those idle activities where you find yourself biting. The more you practice, the more quickly and effectively you can catch your bad habit. Mindful meditations may also help get that ball rolling.
I bit my nails from age 6 until age 17 and I wish I had better advice for quitting, but honestly I just stopped without actively trying. Idk like I grew out of it. I think I just no longer accepted that behavior for myself.
You may grow out of it like I did, but I know lots of people who still bite their nails, so try to just stay on top of your habits.
I hope you will have beautiful nails someday soon! Not that it matters really, but that small victory does feel good.
I managed to kick a lifelong nail-biting habit last November, and used a couple of things that might be of use:
- You can buy Nail Biting Polish at a pharmacy (I'm in the UK, and I bought 'Stop n Grow', but I'm sure they'll sell it anywhere). It has bad taste and aftertaste, so you have to tackle with that whenever you put your nails in your mouth.
- A nail hardening solution on top of that (don't know the specific brand), which I found helpful in getting into the mindset of looking after them too.
- Nail grooming tools (clippers and Emery boards) - might be obvious, but I never owned any til I started this all. These, along with like some multivitamins for nail/hair growth (Perfectil), reinforce the idea that you're caring for them and not just giving up something.
I hope that's helpful at all. Best of luck 😊
Maybe use nail polish as you don't have to use as frequent as hand sanitizer :)
Sounds like you've got dermatillomania! It's compulsive scratching/biting/picking at your skin. Generally comes as a bundle deal with anxiety issues.
When mine (picking/scratching) gets bad I'll
- [Wear finger guards](https://www.google.com/search?q=silicone+finger+covers&client=ms-android-virgin-us&source=android-browser&ei=a69gYNrDBIyrtQb8xb6YDA&oq=finger+covers+sil&gs_lcp=ChNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwEAEYAjIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjIFCCEQoAE6BAgAEEc6AggAOgQIABBDOgUIABDJAzoFCAAQhgNQjJcCWKS0AmCb0gJoAHABeACAAY0BiAH_A5IBAzAuNJgBAKABAcgBCMABAQ&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp#scso=_m69gYMHLE4bNtQbOrQo5:3780)
- Wear [gloves as a fashion accessory](https://www.google.com/search?q=fashion+gloves&client=ms-android-virgin-us&source=android-browser&ei=m69gYMHLE4bNtQbOrQo&oq=fashion+glo&gs_lcp=ChNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwEAEYADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyBQgAEMkDMgIIADICCAAyAggAOgUIABCRAjoKCAAQsQMQgwEQQzoECAAQQzoLCC4QsQMQxwEQowI6CAgAELEDEMkDOgUIABCSAzoFCAAQsQNQta8GWJPqBmDL9wZoAHAAeAKAAZMjiAGFkwGSAQ8yLTEuMS42LTEuMS4wLjWYAQCgAQGwAQDAAQE&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp)
- [Keep hands busy](https://www.google.com/search?q=keep+hands+busy&client=ms-android-virgin-us&source=android-browser&ei=lbBgYOrWIcu7tQav1KjYDQ&oq=keep+hands+&gs_lcp=ChNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwEAEYATIFCC4QkwIyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCC4yAggAOgUIABCRAjoLCC4QxwEQrwEQkQI6BQguELEDOgsILhCxAxDHARCjAjoOCC4QxwEQrwEQkQIQkwI6BAgAEEM6BAguEEM6BQgAELEDOggILhDHARCvAToHCAAQsQMQQzoICC4QsQMQgwE6BwguEEMQkwI6CAguELEDEJMCUMpxWOabAWDlowFoAHAAeACAAesBiAGvCpIBBTMuNy4xmAEAoAEBsAEAwAEB&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp)
Interesting you say that because it sounds pretty spot on.
I’ll usually catch myself biting my nails, or scratching at a random scab / pimple on my body somewhere, typically when I’m doing something stressful...
Thanks for the advice!
/r/Compulsiveskinpicking has great tips
I would recommend getting your nails done. Ask for a nude shade or even just the clear nail dip. It's super hard and you can definitely chip a tooth on them if you're not careful (I did this in my NEED to bite my nails, I was super pissed at myself for it). Ask that they don't "drill" your natural nails though, it thins them out quite a bit. It usually takes me about 3 visits, so anywhere from 6 to 9 weeks to fully kick the habit. I've had to have mine done like this several times to kick the habit after relapsing in stressful times. I find the nudes and clear help the most since I can more easily imagine them as being my natural nail.
Aside from that, moisturize your hands with a focus on your cuticles, and moisturize frequently. I catch myself slipping up a lot more when I have hang nails and go to chew them off.
The vile tasting stuff you paint on your nails worked at first, but eventually you get used to it. What did work for me (four years now) was having a nail technician put overlays on - gel possibly, can’t remember? Pretty hard, and if, like me, you’re male, they will shape then normally, and short. I expected to have to have it topped up a few times before I was out of the habit, but a single treatment worked. Used acetone to remove the overlays as they started to grow out, and have never chewed my nails since.
I saw someone biting a toothpick all the time in my school. When I asked him why he is doing that he told me that it is to keep him from biting his fingernails.
Mindfulness is key. You’ll want to try to pay attention first to when you’re doing it and then think about what in that moment might be causing the response. Meditation practice can help you build the “muscle” that will help you notice the automatic responses and behaviors you’ve accumulated in your life.
People bite nails or pick at cuticles, skin, hair, whatever, for many reasons. It’s important to work on this because it can turn into a more destructive habit. Often it’s self soothing during a time when you’re stressed, overstimulated, or (and this one took me by surprise to learn) under-stimulated. That helped me understand why I do it when I’m idle, watching a tv show I like at home (a stress free situation). I thought it was 100% always about stress but it’s not necessarily the case. I haven’t completely solved it for myself but here are the most effective tools I’ve used:
1. keep up with fingernail grooming. The less sharp edges there are to pick at or bite the less I think about or want to do it.
2. moisturize your hands often, and possibly any time you catch yourself starting to bite. Similar to above, it helps reduce the likelihood of me doing it.
3. get yourself a fidget toy. There are many types and the one that has worked wonders for me is this: Black ONO Roller - (The Original)... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079ZPLL97?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
The fidget toy in particular seems to be altering my behavior. I’m finding that I want to reach for the toy more than I want to pick or bite. And because it’s a new thing, I’m noticing the times when I reach for it which has given me insights into when and why I want to do it in the first place. So now I’m working on weening myself off of using it and seeing if the desire starts to dissipate. At a minimum, I know that when the desire returns the fidget roller lets me address it without doing anything destructive.
Check out r/calmhands
My way may not be the most helpful (Or the most beautiful) but the way I did it was I stopped biting 2 fingers and saw how they looked when I grew them which was good! and I kept my hand busy/fidgiting with something so I could not being them closer to my face
Stop watching porn. Helped for me
Scratch your asshole making sure that some poop gets underneath your nails. Then you wont bite them. And if you forget and do bite them you will remember not to bite after that.