T O P
RomanticallyCandid

My guess would be that this is because the majority of Redditors are from the West, where many have been raised in and around Christianity their whole lives and thus have come into contact with parts of Christianity that they may have found worthy of criticism. It's not as easy to criticize a religion/spiritual practice that you don't see from the day-to-day, I think.


garrettbass

yea I imagine if we lived in India we'd see a lot more complaint about Hinduism as its the dominant religion


JAugie13

Lot of conflict between Hindu’s and Muslims in India and Muslims and Buddhists in China.


garrettbass

every religion on China is having conflicts. Because of China. But yes, there's a portion of the Indian population calling themselves "Hindu nationalists" who are committing crimes against the Muslim and Christian populations there


canyouhearme

This, plus the fact that those free of religion tend to point up the evils of ALL religions (christianity is just the nearest target) and that buddhism isn't currently trying to attack normal people and force their religiously inspired insanity onto everyone. At least in the west, buddhists tend to keep themselves and not try and impose their problems on others. Christianity - not so much, over centuries.


arensb

Buddhists *have* been known to push their views on others, but not in the US, it's true.


canyouhearme

Yeah, its a general problem with religions when they reach above a certain size and integration of the reins of power - they start demonstrating their intolerance, often violently. In the west, however, buddhists don't have the numbers to start trying to throw their weight around.


LongjumpingStyle

I don't think it's a problem with religions, but with humans. Once you're starting to have power, you're way more likely to abuse it.


[deleted]

I mean, not all Christians (in fact I would argue most) are "trying to force their religiously inspired insanity?" on everyone. The media does it's best to find the most terrible examples of Christianity it can, and we are often portrayed in a very negative light. Also, just because a person is passionate about their beliefs and speaks about them openly, does not mean they are trying to force anything on you. I do find it amusing that I wouldn't call your belief system a humanity inspired insanity (I'm assuming your atheist, if I'm wrong please correct me.), but you and many others use such language casually and with such derision to describe our personal beliefs that, frankly, sickens me. So much for unity, love, and living with a willingness to engage in civil discourse with people of other opinions, I guess, huh?


CanadianBlondiee

HashtagNotAllChristians as a response isn't a great look, if I'm honest. Can we honestly admit that although #notall are trying to force their beliefs - too many in power are? >Also, just because a person is passionate about their beliefs and speaks about them openly, does not mean they are trying to force anything on you. I think it is both dishonest and intentionally naieve to pretend that is what anyone is talking about when they discuss forcing religion onto people. Look at how long it took for gay marriage to be legalized. Or look at what's happening with abortions in the US. Or how most churches behaved during covid. Or how prevelant churches still are involved in the harmful and dehumanizing practices of voluntourism, aka mission work. I think it would do the church really well to believe people when they talk about the damage and harm of the church. It's not "the media". It's the churches actual reputation due to how they treat people. Every single church I have been to has caused me harm. That's not the media, that is my real life experience. >I do find it amusing that I wouldn't call your belief system a humanity inspired insanity (I'm assuming your atheist, if I'm wrong please correct me.), but you and many others use such language casually and with such derision to describe our personal beliefs that, frankly, sickens me. No, instead the church says we are going to burn in hell, our marriages our valid, our beliefs are from Satan/evil, we are rotten sinners, among other things. The church votes against the interest of its neighbour and then pretends to be the nice innocent church person, while dehumanizing and demonizing anyone who doesn't belong to their in group. >So much for unity, love, and living with a willingness to engage in civil discourse with people of other opinions, I guess, huh? It's funny how triggered you got over being called out, when most Christians I know can't follow the book they say condemns others to eternal torment We can hate the closed minded, harmful belief but love the closed minded, harmful person, right? Or does that not work when it's flipped on you?


CitizenCold

China is the perfect example of a country that is as un-Christian as can be. Religion in general is strongly discouraged and Christians in particular are actually persecuted. And yet Chinese society is incredibly homophobic and gay marriage is not legal there. Some things are universal and cannot be blamed on religion.


CanadianBlondiee

True. But this question is about Christianity. And I am not from China, so I won't speak on something I don't have direct experience and knowledge in. In America, and Canada, in my experience, those things and many others can be blamed on religion, and so I think it's only fair to place the responsibility where its due. Obviously there are other issues at play, but I am answering the question asked.


LongjumpingStyle

Dude, I don't know what churches you've been to, but I think I'm in a good one. What did they do to cause you harm?


CanadianBlondiee

Oh gosh, how much time do you have? - used demonizing people to invalidate mental illness (watched this happen to one of my greatest friends - I'm going to her mother in laws funeral because of the churches inability to support people's mental health crisis) - taught purity culture in a way that led to over half a decade of sexual abuse (which is not uncommon) - had a culture where men weren't held accountable for their actions which led to a pastor abusing his young teen congregant and although he lost his job, she was blamed for the "affair" - was turned against my mother who could have helped me with the abuse and mistreatment I was facing but they invalidated and indoctrinated me to listen to them first because she wasn't a believer - teaches responsibility for sins of others so that when my great grandmother passed I was wracked with guilt and shame that I had condemned her to hell - when my mom died, I moved in with my boyfriend because my grief was so deep so instead of helping the church gossiped about our "sin", pressured us to get married four months after she passed and less than a year after we met, then the church refused to support us and the pastor refused to marry us because they had discussed us and how we are definitely having sex (we weren't - the grief was too deep) and when I said that he said, do you think anyone believes you? - I was constantly questioned and pestered about getting a job and how we should just have children and stay home - when it took us years to have children, because we were so young when pushed into the marriage, the church almost tore our marriage apart by pitting my husband and I against one another in pressure to do so - went on "mission trips" which is voluntourism and then shared photos of the "sad, poor" children of colour who was little more than a prop - when rallies for racial injustice were led, the church members refused to go, spread lies about things that occurred and demonized the group - spread false rumours about the validity of my marriage and sex life, and said nasty things about my child because we are an interracial marriage and it wasn't seen as legitimate - refused to adhere to covid protocols, crying persecution, which led to the death of at least one member (but covered it up, of course) - attended the far right convoy in Canada (after decrying the rallies done by people of colour) and supported Pat King and his posse - allowed prosperity gospel preacher to come as a guest speaker and defraud the congregation - pastor lied about science on the pulpit to have it fit his interpretation of the message - had a 70 year old man who was a friend think the curse of Satan was woman wanting to lead men (it's not) - when we experienced a hate crime and spoke out about it we were cast out because it would have caused them to reflect on their own racism - one of my dear elderly friends was stalked by a member of the church and had to move over an hour away because the church did nothing - I was harassed online by multiple older male leaders because I was no longer falling in line with their control. And that's a handful of many many more experiences with almost half a dozen churches over three cities (and I've only lived in two cities) And I have loved ones who have similar stories from their own churches. There's a reason why there's an ex Christian sub. People aren't leaving for no reason.


Calx9

20 years as a Southern Baptist and I experienced 95% of what you posted... A lot of harm I was so oblivious to.


CanadianBlondiee

Yes, that's something I should have added. You don't realize the abuse until you're either out or something clicks. It's very, frogs in boiling water vs slowing heating the water up. It doesn't start off bad, and even while in it I wouldn't have recognized it. That's what's so insideous about it all.


LongjumpingStyle

That's absolutely not the Christian way that Jesus taught us. If anything, that's the work of Satan himself right here. That's definitely because of churches like this that people are losing faith. I hope you distanced yourself far from them and that everything is now good for you (and your family). I don't know what more to say to you. May God bless you. Edit: ah, what part of America, if I may ask?


CanadianBlondiee

But that's the tricky thing. It is the was Christians on a much too large scale operate. It's not just my experience, but that of so so many others. I do agree that it's the work of Satan - happening right in our churches. Right in the pews, at the pulpits. And it absolutely is why people are leaving. We have distanced as much as we can so far, hopefully more so in the future. Thank you for your well wishes, truly. And I am a Canadian - and these were all over Ontario.


LongjumpingStyle

I don't know what's wrong with it, but every time that I hear about churches in Northern America it's about abuse and mistreatment. It seems like nothing good came from there for Christianity. One day, if I have the courage to (if God gives it to me), I'll go there and instruct myself on how it is to live there as a christian. Really don't want to, lol.


[deleted]

I’m not concerned with appearances, it’s interesting because I am noticing that appearances are the only thing many of the younger generation is concerned with. I’m getting ready for bed, so I’ll make this quick. Leviticus 18:22 KJV ‘Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.’ - God said homosexuality is abomination… hmmm If you feel that you can speak for the thoughts, actions, and character of some 350+ million Christians worldwide… that is your misguided perception and you’ll have to deal with that. It’s not about following the book to a T. That’s the point of Jesus and the sacrifice that he made on the cross. I am very broken, you don’t know anything about me, but I promise you I am well acquainted with evil, abuse, great violence, and hatred. I ask for forgiveness, supplicate myself in front of God and do my best to live a life that is in accordance with the teachings of Jesus Christ. The point is I’m willing to humble myself enough to say that I’m dirty as hell. I don’t spend every waking moment trying to convince people that my sin is perfectly ok. I’m not really sure how you took that statement as me being, “triggered”. If you think that is me being triggered you probably would run in terror if I showed you what it looks like when I actually am. You wanna call me close minded and harmful as a person? Your problem, not mine. I’ve been respectful on every post I’ve made. Also, you have made an assumption that I agree with and support “The Church” in general (you guys really have a hard time being able to look at people as individuals instead of using blanket brush strokes in every single statement you make.) However, I do not. Like I said, I look at people’s message, actions, and the fruit of their faith, and I decide whether I will listen to what that person has to say. I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Messiah, the Risen One; If you even have an introductory knowledge of Jesus, you will know that he preached against “religion”. I hope you have a good night.


CanadianBlondiee

You can dismiss me as part of the "younger generation" but if I know my Bible, and I do, there's some very strong words about not letting people look down on you because you're young. So I'm going to hand wave that away as a sin and misstep of your own pride. I'd be interested to see what you'd have to say about the fact that the word “arsenokoitai” shows up in two different verses in the bible, but it was not translated to mean “homosexual” until 1946. (https://um-insight.net/perspectives/has-%E2%80%9Chomosexual%E2%80%9D-always-been-in-the-bible/) this wouldn't be the first time the Bible would be altered for political power and oppression. It also doesn't seem to be a mistake that Americans paid for this to be added into the text. We must not be ignorant to truth. >If you feel that you can speak for the thoughts, actions, and character of some 350+ million Christians worldwide… that is your misguided perception and you’ll have to deal with that. As I stated and you either intentionally or ignorantly misunderstood, I am speaking for my own experience and that when others speak on their experiences, Christians should listen. You can handbrush everyone as innocent but what does that do for the broken at the hands of Christians? It seems like a very lazy and entirely unChristlike response. >. If you think that is me being triggered you probably would run in terror if I showed you what it looks like when I actually am. This statement is very strange and I'm unsure as to what you meant by it? You're upset and crying foul for the sake of all Christians and yet I should be terrified of your true trigger? Yikes. >You wanna call me close minded and harmful as a person? Your problem, not mine. I’ve been respectful on every post I’ve made. I'm not calling you that. I'm just calling the common Christian catchphrase into its own hypocrisy. Christians don't like it when it's yielded against them.. Yet they make it the world's problem if we don't agree with what Christians say. >Also, you have made an assumption that I agree with and support “The Church” in general For someone who doesn't agree with and support the church in general, you sure are going to bat for them. And again, pointing out your hypocrisy: you saying: >you guys really have a hard time being able to look at people as individuals instead of using blanket brush strokes in every single statement you make I have been a Christian for most of my life. You are painting everyone who disagrees with you as an other. But I have insider knowledge, I've been a part of the church. I've been raised in it, worked in it, served in it. You blanket brush stroke everyone who disagrees with you because it's easier than actually LISTENING and hearing what others have to say. You know, like Jesus did. >If you even have an introductory knowledge of Hesus, you will know that he preached against “religion”. I have more than introductory knowledge which is why I take such great offense at how the church (for the most part - don't get your panted twisted, I'm not brush stroking EvErYoNe) has religion and religious superiority as their idol they'll serve above all - even (and especially when) its contradictory to the character of Christ.


Calx9

>I mean, not all Christians (in fact I would argue most) are "trying to force their religiously inspired insanity?" on everyone. Here in the South, if you're in a religious circle then it happens quite frequently. I also can't go to any universities in my area and not find a vocal preacher in the main square. But mostly the forcing comes in the form of family members who berate you for not agreeing with their views. Right now I am seeing many Christian families I've known forever exiling their children for things like being gay or being an Atheist.


canyouhearme

Fine, when you start dealing with the christians in your midst, trying to change abortion laws, then I will say 'not all christians'. However, they are chiefly YOUR problem, and you need to be dealing with them. Otherwise the rest of us won't be discriminating between those you a demonstrating common cause with. > but you and many others use such language casually and with such derision to describe our personal beliefs that, frankly, sickens me. The idea that anyone would attempt, in any way, to impose THEIR religion onto me, does more than sicken me - it disgusts me and makes me extremely angry. Keep your beliefs to yourself - otherwise you become the anti-social problem to be dealt with. No, my patience with religion has run out - you've mishaved and then claimed "you can't attack me because its my beliefs" one too many times to be given leeway. Fix yourself and your behaviour.


[deleted]

Yeah.... you are a narcissist. textbook. Have a good one.


canyouhearme

You do realise that just throwing names around doesn't make it so, right? And it also does nothing to absolve yourself? All I said is that my patience with christians bad behaviour, then trying to claim persecution, has run out. I see no reason to give you any special treatment - you get held to account, despite your personal belief that you are special and your demands that norms don't apply to you. Now, what does that textbook say about the behaviour of narcissists ....


kinderbrownie

Yes, it’s definitely narcissism to be angry that religious beliefs are being used to influence a secular government /s


Keitt58

Pretty much hits the nail on it's head, While understanding there are some issues with Buddhism I wasn't raised to believe it, never had any meaningful experiences with it and don't know anyone involved with it so kind of hard to have a strongly held stance as a result.


ikieneng

Also, Reddit is predominantly Atheist (source: [this comment section](https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/usqr2n/americans_of_reddit_would_you_vote_for_an_openly/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share))


mugsoh

That just asked if you would vote for an atheist. If your answer is no, you're a bigot. Religion should have no bearing on your vote. You should be evaluating how their policy statements align with how you think government should be running. The Constitution prohibits a religious test for office for a reason.


Vortilex

While religion should affect who you'd vote for all other things being equal, one's religious beliefs will affect what they consider moral and what they consider to be more important topics. It's why a lot of Christians vote for Republicans, for example. I myself tend not to favor any given party, and only voted for Biden in 2020 because I could not in good conscience vote for Trump nor for a third party, despite my voting Green in 2016


mugsoh

> one's religious beliefs will affect what they consider moral and what they consider to be more important topics. I agree. But there are plenty for whom a religious affiliation, and in many cases what affiliation, is an important factor.


Vortilex

Let's just say I didn't vote for Biden based on his stance on abortion, for example...


mugsoh

I'll take you at your word.


Friendofafriend468

Wow, I didn't know that! I've been on Reddit for 1 year only. Well, I guess you learn something new everyday!


EagleScout20

This. Western society is predominantly Christian (with just a *hint* of Catholic, and a *pinch* of Jewish). Because of this, most neckbeards direct their angsty atheistic ire towards Christianity and Christians, since they had more cultural contact with that religion growing up.


tom_yum_soup

> Christian (with just a hint of Catholic Since when are Catholics not Christian?


chicagoman9876

I noticed there is a lot of gate keeping here and some denominations deny that Catholics are Christians. I don’t understand it.


EagleScout20

If you've ever spent more than a few days around Catholics (i.e. went on a service trip with Catholics, attended Catholic School, etc.), you'll learn that they mostly consider the term "Christian" to refer to protestant denominations, and "Catholic" to refer to their own denomination.


Weidenroeschen

> you'll learn that they mostly consider the term "Christian" to refer to protestant denominations, and "Catholic" to refer to their own denomination. The only ones differentiating between Christian and Catholic are protestant Christians from the US. Never heard this from an european catholic or protestant. (source: am ex-catholic from Europe)


Nthepeanutgallery

Few years back on twitter I was participating in one of the endless threads and another of the participants was an expat American living in the Philippines who took exception to me having labeled him Christian. He insisted that he was not a Christian, he was Catholic and considered being labeled a Christian somewhat insulting for reasons that were never clearly articulated. Still a bit puzzled over that one.


capitalismwitch

Uh yeah no. As a Catholic that’s total bullshit. Catholics are very vocal about the fact we’re Christians, the only people who say otherwise are Protestants who think we’re idol worshippers.


EagleScout20

I was literally on a bus full of Catholics on a service trip down in Appalachia about 5 years ago, and when we pulled into the place we were staying, the sign said something like "Christian community center." The first thing he (the chaperone) said before we got off the bus was: \*Points to the sign\* "Okay guys, clearly this place isn't Catholic, so let's try to be as respectful as we can while we're staying here, all right? This place isn't affiliated with the school in any way, so we should be very grateful they allowed us to stay here."


capitalismwitch

Yeah you misunderstood the semantics there. Catholics label things as Catholic, but are still Christians and identify as such. You’re using one misunderstood personal anecdotes to tell like half a dozen actual Catholics on this thread they’re wrong.


aelhaearn

>If you've ever spent more than a few days around Catholics (i.e. went on a service trip with Catholics, attended Catholic School, etc.), you'll learn that they mostly consider the term "Christian" to refer to protestant denominations, and "Catholic" to refer to their own denomination. I've worked at a Catholic university for 9 years, I live in a predominantly Catholic area, and so I spend a lot of time around Catholics. More time around them than any other flavor of Christian. What you describe is not reflective of my experience.


antifascist-mary

I went to Catholic school and can confirm. Of course, logically speaking Catholics are Christian, but Catholics are firm in their stance that they are separate from other Christians for the fundamental belief that clergy members can magically turn the bread and wine into the body and blood of Christ. As far as I know, no other Christians believe that.


Omaestre

I am Catholic and have never heard of Catholics not identifying as Christian that must be a US thing.


JotPurpleIris

Nope. Irish Catholics seperate themselves from Christians and refer to them as Protestants. There was a whole war where the country split and ended up as two countries because of it.


tom_yum_soup

See my reply to your earlier version of this comment.


theeosapien123

there are christian neckbeards too, more than le atheists.


PiratusInteruptus

>Because of this, most neckbeards direct their angsty atheistic ire towards Christianity and Christians, since they had more cultural contact with that religion growing up. LOL @ neckbeards. smh


gandalfblue

If you want to see complaints about Buddhism in quantity you'll need to go on websites that aren't in English, I suggest brushing up on Mandarin.


Lordveus

Reddit is largely an American website in terms of userbase. Christianity has a much larger significant impact.I would imagine that the largest critiques of Buddhism likely exist in places where Asian and non-English perspectives thrive more.


rodoxide

Conservatives, republicans and extremists make christianity look bad.


Daegog

This 100%.. To be fair, I have only ever known one Buddhist and he was a great fella, very funny.


baddspellar

Almost half of redditors come from the US. Christians wield enormous political power and influence in the US. If Christians just prayed, attended church, served the poor, etc, they wouldn't get so much criticism. Instead, many of them vocally push a right-wing agenda through legislation and the court system. A lot of Americans resent that


pgsimon77

The sad irony is that it seems like if our faith wasn't so wrapped up in the politics of the time it might actually have more impact on the world....


TinyNuggins92

Unfortunately right wing evangelicals have perfected the art of wielding faith as a club against everyone they hate.


NeedSomeBunny2Love

The blowback from the secular word coming from evangelicals declaring war on everyone is coming back to bite everyone. Most people have gay friends and family members and don't appreciate them being targeted for violence by right wing extremists hiding their hate behind their religion.


TinyNuggins92

It was becoming friends with gay and trans people and the utter self-centered nature of right-wing ideology that has pushed me further and further left and led to my own reckoning on sexuality and God. I can easily say that I am a much happier and better person because of it. Edit: damned mobile and autocorrect


NeedSomeBunny2Love

Can never go wrong treating people with love and dignity


TinyNuggins92

Quite true


bunker_man

Also, really dumb politics that contradict the religion. The central moral push of christianity is the poor, but...


[deleted]

The central moral push in Christianity is to the cross. The poor you will always have. Matthew 26:6-13


Dewot423

And yet to follow Christ, he tells the rich young ruler to sell all he has to feed the poor. That quotation you used is NOT an excuse to avoid alleviating poverty.


KairosVal

Bingo. This is why separation of church and state is a pro-religious move.


TinyNuggins92

A lot of Americans understandably resent that. As do I.


PiratusInteruptus

I like this guy. He gets it.


[deleted]

Christians "just" prayed, attended church, served the poor, etc, in the 100s through 300s. They were mass murdered and ostracized then too.


kiiyyuul

Generally speaking, Christians are terrible ambassadors for the faith. You could say it’s because we’re of man, and of sin, but the Dalai Lama hasn’t systematically silenced the accusers of sexual abuse. He’s not standing on a street corner saying be thankful for dead soldiers or “fags”. We’re the worst PR team.


inarchetype

Not the Dali Lama, but ask a Rohinga about Buddhist oppression some time.


kiiyyuul

Oh there’s oppression and murder in the name of every religion. But we claim to be more and have more. But how can a western thinking atheist conclude anything more than Christians being blind to science and humanity? We stopped being the people of reason long ago.


InternetTraumatized

Most redditors are from Western, Christian cultures. The grass is always greener next door; their traditional religion is evil and the cause of every evil, while adjacent and more Middle-Eastern religions (Islam and Judaism) are questionable but oppressed (antisemitism and islamophobia are common words), and far Eastern religions are hippie peace and love philosophies. I realize my tone sounds disparaging, but I don't mean to be. I think it is these people's perspective that is disparaging - it is disrespectful of other Abrahamic religions by portraying them as perpetual victims while also calling them evil (circumcision and terrorism...), and of Dharmic and Taoic religions by infantilizing and over-simplifying them.


throwawayconvert333

It’s especially funny since so many of the liberal Thai criticisms directed at the Thai Sangha, for example (lack of female ordination, involvement with politics, corruption, sexual abuse of children and treatment of LGBT believers) are the same as those criticisms you commonly see directed at the Catholic Church.


the1stdaft1

...except that there are over a billion Roman Catholics, making it the singularly largest sect of any religion and giving it global reach


bilbobagholdr

This is the right answer


Missiololo

Christianity is also has a focus on evangelism that correct me if I'm wrong, isn't as much of a large part of other religions. Therefore it's much more prominent in our lives as people evangelise.


Fn2187even

Based on the title your native language is English.... Among English speakers on reddit I think its reasonable to assume that Christianity is the most common religion. So Christianity is the subject, bec its the one people know.... Also I think an additional reason may be that Christianity has been subsumed by capitalism more than any other religion.


CaliforniaAudman13

Tell me about the Arab states, is Dubai not the most capitalist city on earth? The most capitalist countries are Muslim ones


Fn2187even

It’s possible that wide swathes of other religions have also been subsumed by capitalism like American Christianity and I’m ignorant to.


Cinderandashes

Because a lot of people turn Christianity into hatred and an excuse to make certain people oppressed


theeosapien123

yup, and that keeps happening a lot more on spaces like twitter and facebook


BringerofJollity146

In the Western World, especially, Buddhism seems to be extremely compatible with the self-help/self-improvement focus that our cultures currently embrace while also not making judgment on a lot other than that which is harmful to your self or causing suffering in others. In many ways, it's similar to what yoga has become in the West. There doesn't seem to be much emphasis on the supernatural or more "religious" aspects of either of them and, stripped of that baggage, many find it easy to incorporate various aspects or practices of each into their existing worldview. To outsiders/non-adherents, Buddhism is a fairly benign belief system/philosophy that preaches inner peace and harmony (both internally, externally, and with the natural world) and stands as a stark contrast to the conflict seen emanating from/centered around religions like Christianity and Islam.


bunker_man

To be fair western buddhism is buddhism in name only. It's not even really a secularization of buddhism. It's enlightenment romanticism with an eastern veneer thrown on top.


Reallynotsuretbh

Because I’ve never met a Buddhist that tries to convert others to Buddhism aggressively, never seen a Buddhist use religion to justify heinous acts. The laundry list of “terrible shit we’ve done to people” is much lower for Buddhism. Crusades, molestations, homophobia. Even if it was a Buddhist majority, you wouldn’t see them trying to change our government to cater to it, and they certainly wouldn’t try to demand that everyone follow their rules/beliefs on individual policies etc


snapper1971

US-Christianity is unlike the Christianity of the bible. Dressing up right-wing fundamentalist dogma in the finery of the bible whilst cherry-picking what rules you follow is deceitful. The persecution complex is also a deceitful act, especially with the US being pretty much the only country in the world where people bring "god" or "jesus" into every single conversation. Every statement from anyone put in front of a camera has to include a reference to the supernatural to prove piety and purity. The JC of the bible is a dark skinned anarco-socialist. The JC of the United States is a white skinned blond figure who hates the poor, the dispossessed and loves greed and selfishness. They simply aren't compatible.


regrant

Buddhism does not require anything of the world. Christianity says that everyone who does not follow Christ is living in sin.


sangbum60090

>Buddhism does not require anything of the world. What are you talking about in this context


regrant

Buddhism does not see nonbelievers as acting incorrectly or wrongly, Christianity does.


SergiusBulgakov

Clearly, you have not studied Buddhism. Start with an investigation on icchantikas.


regrant

So Buddhism does see non-practitioners as eventually being punished for their non-practicing of Buddhism?


SergiusBulgakov

There are many versions of Buddhism, but yes, it is a part of the basic teachings: if you don't follow the dharma, you will act in such a way to keep yourself attached to samsara, and you will also develop bad karma as a result of your ignorance, leading you to get suffering, including the possibility of the great hells.


regrant

As I understand Buddhism, there is no concept of Hell as life is an eternal cycle of death and rebirth. If this is the case, then there doesn't seem to be any punishment, just that things remain the same.


sangbum60090

There are hell and heaven realms in Buddhism, although not permanent.


regrant

I thought life was the *endless* cycle of death and rebirth in Buddhism?


sangbum60090

The whole point of Enlightenment in Buddhism is breaking free of it.


changee_of_ways

There are a lot of different kinds of Buddhism though. I think that even though most Americans think of The Dalai Llama as the "pope" of Buddhism, if they have any actual experience with it, it's one of the Zen traditions, where typically, no heaven, no hell.


bunker_man

Zen has heavens and hells. The idea that it doesn't is either a western misconception, or de-religionized temples functioning as social centers.


sangbum60090

Not really "punishment" but only the Buddha Dharma can lead to Enlightenment according to Buddhism while others can still go to heaven realm.


regrant

Sure, so perhaps I should have claimed. "In Christianity, there is a reward for those who follow Jesus and a punishment for those who do not. In Buddhism, there is no punishment for non-practice, only a reward for those who practice."


ChubbsAndMaiAxe

You need to stop looking at hippies as an example of anything.


regrant

I am not merely "looking at hippies," friend.


joeyjojoeshabadoo

Hippies are a better example how to live than conservative Christians are.


sangbum60090

They do


bunker_man

Yes they do. If you "slander the buddha, dharma, or sangha" it guarantees you trillions of years in a hell. So if you aren't buddhist you better hope you never heard of it, so you can't accidentally criticize it.


joeyjojoeshabadoo

This sounds like bs.


zugabdu

From the standpoint of an atheist in a Western country: 1. We run into fewer Buddhists than Christians. 2. Buddhists we run into usually aren't trying to convert us. A tradition of anti-Buddhist counter-apologetics has no reason to come into being. 3. Buddhists where we live either aren't trying to or don't have the power to impose their beliefs on society in a way we find objectionable - there's no Buddhist equivalent of teaching creationism in public schools, for instance. A lot of these could be generalized to other non-Christian religions in Western countries. Also, some atheists *actually are Buddhist*. Variants of Buddhism exist that don't require one to believe in any gods. Remember, the label atheist only means lack of belief in any gods - it doesn't necessarily mean no religious or supernatural beliefs. While I realize you'll run into some jerks on Reddit who will give you the opposite idea, most atheists aren't that interested in evangelizing atheism. Most atheist critiques of or counter-arguments to Christianity are reactive in nature, and if you live in a Western country, most other religions don't give you much to react to.


bunker_man

There aren't really any actual buddhist schools that are atheist. Some allow it only in the sense that it's considered practicing incorrectly and you will learn your mistake later. Anything that treats it like a valid interpretation is a modern, generally Western, Imperially influenced invention.


AelaThriness

When did Buddhists engage in colonial conquest of nearly every corner of the known world?


bunker_man

Well, zen buddhists tried to colonize a lot of Asia during world War ii. Zen buddhism had the most overt nationalist ties during that time, despite not being the biggest form of japanese buddhism.


bruhiminsane

That wasn't Zen. That was a mixture of Nichiren Buddhism and State Shinto.


inarchetype

Yeah, Buddhists never oppressed anyone. Just ask the Rohinga


Finch20

Because a majority of users on reddit come from countries where Christianity is the majority religion. So a majority of users on reddit will know more about Christianity than for example Buddhism. And I'd say it's a good thing that you don't critique what you don't know.


TheFingMailMan_69

Most people on reddit are westerners so Christianity is more familiar and Buddhism doesn't have the problems among their institutions in the west that Christianity does, like church involvement in politics and the culture war.


Steph83

You don’t generally see Buddhists go on violent rampages murdering people. You also don’t normally meet a Buddhist who is a giant judgmental jerk. Christians though…


MysticalMedals

As someone from the US, Buddhists aren’t trying to shove their religion down my throat and aren’t trying to force me to adhere to their teachings. My main criticisms is for the religion that dominates where I live


angeloguerra

Roman Catholicism is responsible for countless deaths, murders. Christianity is about calling out people’s wrongs. Buddhism is not really known for things like this. I’m a Christian btw


BoxyPandaGirl

I’ve never had my rights threatened by a Buddhist


Puzzleheaded-Phase70

Because Christianity had been used to do much more damage and wield much more power, and continues to do so today, than Buddhism. Take, for instance, the fact that you *didn't* choose Islam for your comparison. You choose to compare Christianity with one of the most pointedly harmless religions (not perfect, of course, but arguably much better at peacefulness in the world than Christianity across history).


bunker_man

Buddhism isnt really all that peaceful historically. The idea that it is is largely a western invention.


jcspring2012

Reddit is mostly a US user base, and budhists aren't trying to usurp our democracy.


morosco

Though I'm sure they exist, I've never, as an American, met someone who was banished from their family because of Buddhism, or have lost or are about to lose a legal right because of Buddhism. There's just a lot less direct negative impact from religions that are less prominent in places where most Redditors are posting from.


EdenRubra

I expect this is probably because you’re American and don’t live in a Buddhist dominated country


NeedSomeBunny2Love

You won't meet many Buddhists who are trying to enslave large chunks of the population. It's not the beliefs, it's the actions.


pgsimon77

Oh they do believe me :) just look at some of the forums


Nopolis52

You’re only exposed to the conversation you look for! People are asking all kinds of questions all the time all over the world :)


Prof_Acorn

Other supernatural things are mocked when they arise. I think it's just that Buddhism doesn't arise very often, and when it does it often is just the secular western version of mindfulness.


YamBetter

As an atheist I never had any conflict with Buddhists and yes I do know a few. I had a lot of arguments with very religious people including Christians concerning homosexuality, secularism, dinosaurs, student housing and last but not least Christmas. Edit: And sexual abuse


bunker_man

Sexual abuse is pretty rampant in buddhism too. Any institution religious or not really...


Rontron2002

Something Jesus promises to his deciples is persecution from the world around us. They don't agree because sin won't let them. It's clouded our minds and twisted our perspectives on life. But Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. Holding on to his promises is the best thing you can do. It's won't be easy, life never is, but the reward is worth it. I long for the day to hear my Father in heaven speak the words "Well done, good and faithful servant."


jokester4079

Funny thing, when I was in China, my friends always warned me against the Buddhist monks. In their eyes, they were corrupt just looking to scam you.


PurveyorOfDragons

I suspect because Christians tend to be rather insistent about how people live their lives, whereas those religions are generally more a case of, "It's better for you if you do this, but what you do is up to you."


[deleted]

One thing I know is that Jesus told us we would be persecuted, we would be hated, we would be imprisoned, beaten, mocked, and murdered. I am sure that there is conflict between many of the different religions, but it does seem like we are pretty universally hated.


bunker_man

Because in the English speaking world buddhism has so little social relevance that most people didn't even realize it was a religion with gods and worship until like... 2015.


No_Organization_768

Hi :0 Well, if you really want to know, you'd have to ask the people you see doing this. If you're just looking for our opinions, I agree with RomanticallyCandid. It's just hard to say much at all about Buddhism if you live in the West because you may honestly not know much about it.


SeaweedNew2115

Well, only about 4% of the world lives in Buddhist-majority countries. And all eight of those countries are places where most people don't speak English. So I wouldn't expect a ton of Buddhist-related content on Reddit.


gnurdette

If most Redditors were in Burma - a Buddhist-dominated society, and in fact one where a belligerent, nationalist, and toxic form of Buddhism has gained a lot of political power - then that's where the attention would be.


United_Exam_7876

Because most atheists wrongly assume the bible is a scientific paper. Sadly a lot of Christians think they can win an argument with them about science.


MrShadowHero

christians are warmongers, its in their roots. people say muslims have a high body count, but christians hold that record by over 1000x. has buddhism ever had a war last HUNDREDS of years?


nyet-marionetka

The Buddhists aren’t over here trying to legislate in my face.


AJayayayay

This really shouldn't be a serious question. Extreme proselytizing, openly condemning others to hell for fundamental reasons, theocratic control, manipulation, abuse of power, worldy atrocities in the name of God, hypocrisy, and in house division. Like, I'm Christian, but I can look at the historical and present issues that hijack the faith. The worse part is people genuinely believe Christianity is a faith of deviance and violence because too many Christians either allow it or enforce it.


babazuki

There's no widely circulated Buddhist scripture that denigrates homosexuals and women's rights. No Buddhists are forming political groups to restrict minorities health care and marriage rights.


graemep

> There's no widely circulated Buddhist scripture that denigrates homosexuals and women's rights. Many people here will say that any such thing in Christianity is due to mistranslation. > No Buddhists are forming political groups to restrict minorities health care and marriage rights. Yes there are. For example Sri Lanka has sodomy laws largely because homosexuality is regarded as western decadence that a Buddhist country should discourage and there are hardline Buddhist groups backing this and the oppression of minority ethnic groups and religions. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-32929855 It is deeply rooted in history, as you will find if you look at ancient chronicles describing wars as defending Buddhism. It is even worse in Burma, and is a problem in many other countries. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_and_violence In Asia Christians are usually the most liberal and tolerant religious (or non religious) group.


snowman334

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you've said, but I think the critical part that comment left out was the "In the West" part. >[In the West,] there's no widely circulated Buddhist scripture that denigrates homosexuals and women's rights. That's a much more accurate statement, and much more relevant since the OP is specifically asking about Reddit.


[deleted]

[удалено]


futz_

They're doing the same thing with Christianity.


Ffgffffvv

lol


AtmospherePopular529

Buddhism teaches that women are inferior to men and it’s nearly impossible for them to attain enlightenment. Funny, because a lot of women I know hate Christianity but love Buddhism.


teffflon

This is such an unfair blanket characterization of Buddhism as it exists today that it's difficult to believe you are interested in good-faith discussion.


AtmospherePopular529

Lol have you seen the blanket statements made against Christianity?? I love Buddha, he’s based. I’m just pointing out how Westerners claim Christianity is “problematic” and ignore that Buddhism isn’t the woke hugfest they perceive it as. https://qz.com/india/586192/theres-a-misogynist-aspect-of-buddhism-that-nobody-talks-about/amp/


ZealousidealPain4788

And nobody talks about Christianity and its Misogyny against women. So what’s your point


Lionheart778

Nobody? I think that would depend on where you are from. Feminist critique of the bible and Christian tradition is *extremely* popular. Nadia Bolz-Weber has made a New York Times Bestselling career out of it.


ZealousidealPain4788

I was talking about the church but go off I guess


Lionheart778

Nadia Bolz-Weber is a pastor in the ELCA. Certain denominations talk about it a lot. Not all, but some.


BurntPunk

I actually see the “Christians all want their women barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen” and quoting the “man is the head of woman just as Christ is the head of the church” stuff as reasons to denigrate Christianity pretty often.


The_Legend_Of_All

bible also talks about how men must love their wives with all their soul, and that women must do the same to their husbands. "Husbands, likewise, dwell with them with understanding, giving honor to the wife, as to the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life, that your prayers may not be hindered." 1 Peter 3:7 not all wives are weaker than the husband but you see the point here.


BurntPunk

I just meant that in response to the user above me saying no one talks about Christian misogyny. To say that I’m not sure why they think that, as I hear it discussed fairly often


The_Legend_Of_All

oop


hazah-order

>Buddhism teaches that women are inferior to men and it’s nearly impossible for them to attain enlightenment. These were certainly the unfortunate words of some Buddhist monks of questionable integrity, but it does not line up with the doctrine itself. First, there's is some more practical reasons why there was more inherent danger for the practice when engaged by women due to the fact that Buddhism started out as a small cult of self supporting wandering ascetics. Wandering around alone as a woman is dangerous to this day, let alone 2400 years ago. Second, there's no shortage of "enlightened" female beings in Buddhist cosmology, and they do not take on inferior roles in it. Third, the earliest Suttas, the oral tradition that followed after the Buddha's death until it had been finally recorded into the Pali Canon, includes, you guessed it, women with the same "attainments" that constitute aforementioned "enlightenment". Basically, the only consideration given to the difference between men and women was not rooted in any inherent capability. The point of saying women had "worse karma" was an acknowledgement that the odds are severely disproportionate due to circumstances. Which, to any decent observer, ring true since the problem of women having the odds stacked against them persists to this very day in almost every regard.


babazuki

>There's no widely circulated Buddhist scripture that denigrates homosexuals and women's rights. If you have the "Buddhist Bible" LINK IT. It's also very telling that you're not trying to defend Christianity, you're just trying to bring Buddhism down to it's level.


Meditat0rz

>If you have the "Buddhist Bible" LINK IT. Are you interested in reading Buddhist scriptures? You can read most of them for free, on-line... Check here: [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist\_texts](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_texts)


AtmospherePopular529

“It is better for you to have put your manhood in the mouth of a venomous snake or a pit of burning charcoal than a woman.” - Buddha


babazuki

looks like this is advocating for celibacy. ??? what's your point?


ChubbsAndMaiAxe

If it is about simple celibacy thats not very inclusive. Borderline homophobic.


PiratusInteruptus

Don't stick your dick in crazy?


ChubbsAndMaiAxe

Hippies are not actually buddhists, stop using them as an authority. Its insulting.


ThorneTheMagnificent

1. Because most Redditors are from the West, where Christianity is dominant 2. Because Buddhism is largely a moral and spiritual philosophy while Christians often declare rather loudly (and, in my view, wrongly) that those who don't accept Jesus as their personal lord and savior are going to hell for eternity.


FactsLogicReason

Buddhism is not a significant religion in the world and especially in the UK/North America where most of the Reddit users are (I assume). The claims of Buddhism akin in comparison to Christianity and furthermore its influence on daily life in terms of its dogma/creeds and requirements. It is night and day.


sangbum60090

What? Buddhism is significant religion in the world, just not in the west. 500 million people believe in it.


Creatorskid

It's interesting. No one feels threatened by criticizing Christianity. It's a good thing, inspiring free speech, which is what people living in a country of freedom do. So I don't mind. It's good. Freedom comes to examine Christ and the Bible without reservation. I think it's great. Ironic in a good way.


calladus

Buddhists, Islam, and other religions are not creating legislation based on crappy religious "ethics" in the USA. "Muslim envy" - where American Christians claim that atheists attack Christians over Islam because Chrustians believe Muslims will react violently and Christians will react passively.


PsilocybinCEO

As an atheist, I have NO issue with what beliefs people hold, it's when they try to push their beliefs on me when I have issues. Frankly, I don't know any atheist friends that think a belief in anything supernatural is inherently a problem on its own. Christians, especially in the west, refuse to engage in actual conversations about important issues - having made up their minds already without any ability to compromise because "god said I'm right." This is bad, dangerous thinking that has no place in governing a secular nation. And right now the US in particular has a government filled to the brim with religious fundamentalists and extremists that don't care at all about the separation of church and state. Secondly, in the west, Christians are the overwhelming majority. So many Christians love to wallow in the idea that any critique or pushback to their beliefs is persecution. It is not. Finally, I can't think of a time a Buddhist, Hindu, Jew, etc pushed for any laws or policies that negatively affected me or my rights to live a life without religion. Christians, on the other hand....


Doublea4dayz

Atheist here, Christianity in America affects my everyday life. Buddhism has literally never affected my life.


YaBoyKirkzilla

Karma and rebirth are more believable than a man in the sky


karlosi01

One demographics. Christianity is still dominating religion in places internet users in general live. It has some way of influencing them. Two comparing Buddhism and Christianity isn't exactly fair. Buddhism is still kinda niche philosophy that only borders definition of religion. On the other hand Christianity is spread worldwide. Fairer comparison would be one with islam for example. Third they aren't that similar in supernatural aspects as you claim. Sure some branches of Buddhism have karma and travelling souls but that is droplets compared to what Christianity claims about its god, the world (this and the one after it) and other things. Last but not least impacts. While buddhists have their share of horrendous behavious again it is Christianity that takes the cake. In modern social issues like LGBT rights or abortion as well as some old ones like evolution Christianity will try to have a say. I am yet to witness similar reaction from Buddhism


Ffgffffvv

Because Christianity is the only religion that doesn't try to validate their lifestyle, it is directly opposed to the atheist life style in all aspects. Atheists hate to be told that they are not 'good' people.


Geelz

I think anyone would hate to be told they’re not a good person without justification. Edit: why did that response get deleted so fast lol.


Ffgffffvv

oh it's justified, very justified


Goo-Goo-GJoob

oh it's not, definitely not


ZealousidealPain4788

Christians have done the following: bombed planned parenthood once, have conversion camps to try to change gay people using religious leaders and Unlicensed therapists, The Uganda army in Africa, The Salem witch Trials, The residential boarding schools where Christians beat and Tortured many young Native American children to death as young as 3 years old if they didn’t learn Christianity, The Inquisitions where Christians massacred a whole bunch of Jews and forced them to learn Christianity. Must I continue


Ffgffffvv

what the heck does that have to do with literally anything i said


ZealousidealPain4788

You said “Christians opposed to lifestyle” . Which true but they do it in the most horrible way possible. And you also said “Atheist do like to be their good”. But it looks like Christianity isn’t good either.


Ffgffffvv

Ok so i know this might be crazy to find out about but: real Christians are supposed to imitate Jesus, who never laid a finger on anyone and never committed any sins. Christians aren't supposed to follow other 'Christians' they're only supposed to follow Christ. Christianity is inherently good, Christ is good because He is God. 1 John 2:4: The one who says, “I have come to know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him


snowman334

> Ok so i know this might be crazy to find out about but: real Christians are supposed to imitate Jesus, who never laid a finger on anyone and never committed any sins. Has anyone told the Christians that?


sangbum60090

Only religion?


WokePokeBowl

Targeted anti-Christian propaganda.


ElectricLightningE19

Because going after Christianity is the “woke” thing to do.


ZealousidealPain4788

Slavery, Pro-life movement, The Residential boarding schools, and Inquisitions. All things Christians did to get power. The power that you benefit from


CaosEsOrden

Based


ZealousidealPain4788

Based on what?


CaosEsOrden

Based on being right


Unwholesome_robot

That is correct


[deleted]

[удалено]


snowman334

Always the victim, eh? Yeah, it's *definitely* because of John 3:16, and has nothing to do with the constant attacks on LGBTQ rights, reproduction rights, the constant referral of any sexuality or gender preference that isn't cis/hetero as a "lifestyle" and impure. It couldn't be the ever present disdain that many Christian sects hold for civil rights, or the flagrant alignment with the Republican party and outright alt-right lobbying that occurs in many pulpits. Nah... It's John 3:16. You nailed it. 🙄 Any blame for the denigration of Christianity in the US lies squarely on the shoulders of the Christians perpetuating those things above, and has nothing to do with other religions.


Fabianzzz

This is why Buddhists get a pass and Christians get backlash. You lump everyone who isn’t you together in your narcissism, and add in a splash of bigotry to boot. Narcissism, cruelty, and bigotry are the hallmarks of Christianity as non Christians experience it. u/Clean_Membership6939, here is your answer


heresmyusernam3

Because Christianity is a religion while the other is a practice. Not even in the same genre of discussion and Christians not comprehending that leads to self righteousness and a lot of arguing.


sangbum60090

Buddhism is absolutely a religion


gvlpc

“If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.” John 15:18 KJV “Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” Matthew 5:10 KJV “Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:” 1 Peter 4:12 KJV


PiratusInteruptus

>“If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.” John 15:18 KJV > >“Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” Matthew 5:10 KJV > >“Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:” 1 Peter 4:12 KJV r/PersecutionComplex