Home > Movies > Godzilla: Resurgence Will Be Epic, But Maybe Skip the New Trailer

Godzilla: Resurgence Will Be Epic, But Maybe Skip the New Trailer

Still from new Godzilla: Resurgence trailer

Last month, we got a look at the upcoming release of Toho Studio’s Godzilla: Resurgence. That trailer instantly made 99% of people who watched it want to see the movie. The other 1% were later revealed to be hipsters who’d already seen the trailer before everyone else and were legally obligated to dismiss it in order to maintain official Hipster Status. Well, a new Godzilla: Resurgence trailer is making the rounds, but you may want to skip this one. It does contain some awesome new footage, but it’s also one of the more spoiler-riffic trailers I’ve seen, so if you’d don’t want to know how everything resolves, you may want to skip this one.  You’ve been warned.

Synopsis for Godzilla: Resurgence

OK. This movie is one that probably doesn’t require a synopsis beyond “Godzilla Wreaks Bigtime Havoc in the City,” but here’s the official synopsis:

Cause unknown, an accident has occurred in the tunnels of the Tokyo Bay Aqua Line, causing an emergency cabinet meeting to convene. Immediately afterward, a huge creature appears, destroying town after town with its landing reaching the capital. The mysterious giant organism named Godzilla.

And yes, for those who didn’t know (for example, me) the Tokyo Bay Aqua Line is an actual thing. It’s roughly 8.7 miles (14 km) long, with a roughly 6 mile (9.6 km) section running underneath the bay. It’s currently the fourth longest underwater tunnel in the world.

New Godzilla: Resurgence Trailer

OK. Before we get to the new trailer, let’s go ahead and post the first one here, for anyone who missed it.

Awesome, right? Well, the level of awesome definitely gets upped in the new trailer. I mean, Godzilla shoots atomic rays from his back to bring down those pesky jet fighters.

Still from new Godzilla: Resurgence trailer

Still from new Godzilla: Resurgence trailer

However, again, the trailer contains what looks to be massive spoilers, basically laying out how everything resolves. So, again, though it does contain plenty of awesome, you may want to skip this one.  That being said, here you go.

UPDATE: Toho has requested that specific trailer be taken down from YouTube, so if you missed it, you’re safe from spoilers for now… Well, maybe not. Another group has uploaded a collection of all the footage shown so far, from all the trailers and spots, so view on, but the same *spoilers* warning applies:

I mean, c’mon, shooting down jets and slicing up skyscrapers with atomic rays? Awesome. And something Roland Emmerich’s lame 1998 attempt at Godzilla could only have dreamed of. Also, Toho just recently posted an FX breakdown video, highlighting some of the big scenes from the movie. It’s got some pretty cool comparisons in it.

North American Theatrical Release for Godzilla: Resurgence

Godzilla: Resurgence (or Shin Godzilla as it’s known in Japan) has already been released in Japan (July 29th, 2016), and so far, has raked in an estimated 3.36 billion yen ($32.5 million) at the box office. And for those who missed the announcement at Comic-Con, Funimation acquired the rights to show the film theatrically in North American markets. Right now, they’re planning a late 2016 release, though there are no details on how many theaters they’re shooting for.

So, for those who braved the new Godzilla: Resurgence trailer, what dod you think? Too much? And if it does make it to a theater near you, how many times are you going to see it in theaters?

Featured Image: Toho Studios

You may also like
Why the Marvel Cinematic Universe Is So Mediocre, and Why We Love It Anyway
Director of ‘San Andreas’ to Direct Sci-Fi Action Thriller ‘Black Hole’
Necromongers Throne Room in The Chronicles of Riddick
Looking Back At The Chronicles of Riddick: A Flawed Sequel with Potential
pale blue dot astronaut floating by grandfailure
Sci-Fi Drama ‘Pale Blue Dot’ Lands Star Director, Casts Lead

Leave a Reply